Using Xcode 5 + Jira + GIT + Stash

Peter Frandsen December 5, 2013

Hi I'm new to Jira + AddOns

Looking for the best way to set up my Xcode 5's GIT reposotory to work with Stash on our Mac server? And also to make it interact w Jira / Jira Agile etc?

Any suggestions and tips would be great :-)

10 answers

0 votes
JerryW June 12, 2014

You guys don't Officially Support OSX? what world do you live in?

0 votes
Peter Frandsen December 8, 2013

K Charlies

Thank's for your time and info. I'll have to try out and see how I can integrate Jira and AddOns w my current development. Jira just might be to big and get in my way instead of helping me, since we're basicly just 2 people using it. We'll see.

Happy Coding :-)

0 votes

I'll try to use Stash directly from Xcode 5 since it's my natural code "habitat" ;-) and we'll see how it works. And as you said, maybe the web UI will be another way. But best would be to get it to work w Xcode. I'll have to do some trail and error.

BTW: Got any great tips for installing Stash on a Mac OSX server? Or is it just straight forward?

Thx :-)

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

Hi Peter,

No specific tips apart from the normal guide.

I'm afraid I should mention that technically OSX is not one of our officially supported platforms for production. While I wouldn't expect any major problems, quite a few of our devs use it daily, it's not (as) battle tested from a production instance perspective. Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers,

Charles

K already aware of this issue due to Oracle...

Could you please ask your devs using OSX + Xcode, how they set things up w Stash and Jira? Trying to find the easiest way to set this up...

THX!

(Time for lunch here in Sweden, back in aprx 1h)

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

Hi Peter,

As developers we all run Stash the same way, directly from IntelliJ compiled from source. So it's nothing like a production instance of Stash. We also don't run any of our integration tests against OSX, unlike Linux and Windows, both of which we use for dogfooding as well. I hope that gives you an idea why we can't officially support OSX for production instances.

As developers we only ever setup JIRA when we need to test or change something. In any case it's no different than following the documentation I linked to above. ;-)

Charles

0 votes

Thank's for the link Charles, added to my Reading list.

I'll just have to "battle through it" (Jira) I guees, to evaluate it. and the best way is to put it to real work w real projects I think. But it's huge right now with Jira w AddOns Agile + Service Desk + Capture and also Stash. Just setting everything up on our Mac servers was not to easy... But now Jira + AddOns is running, will set up Stash later.

Tools before Jira
Used many different programs during my dev years. But mostly any of or a combination of on Mac + iOS: OmniOutliner, OmniProject, 2Do, Daylite, Xcode (screenshoot + doc), local GIT repo's, our own CMS docs, etc.

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2013

Hi Peter,

You absolutely don't need SourceTree to clone/push to your repositories on Stash. You won't be able to create Stash-specific pull requests from XCode (unless you find a plugin), but we have a pretty web UI that works just as well. ;-) If you live in XCode then it probably makes sense to use that instead.

The other thing to keep i mind is that you don't have to limit yourself to a single Git tool, depending on how you use them. For example, I use the command line mostly (I've been using Git for 4-5 years now), but I also fine the Intellij IDEA blame and diff handy. Whatever works for you.

I haven't really used any of the Omni tools before. If they have any form of Git integration you will probably be able to hook them up to Stash, but it won't be as native as what you will get with JIRA I'm afraid, and it won't be two way unless someone has written an Omni plugin for Stash.
Cheers
Charles
0 votes

P.s. Charles, check out the new Xcode 5 - it's got a much better version control features now than before. And because of that I'm not shure if i would need SourceTree, if I can use Xcode 5 directly w Stash?

Xcode 5 - The new source control handling

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvq64voi4uvf42u/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-09%20at%2010.40.16.png)

Hmm - pic link don't seem to work via this forum...

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2013

Hi Peter,

You can certainly link JIRA and Stash together. That will give you links to JIRA from Stash on your commits and pull requests. And in JIRA you can see a list of commits that mention the key. We also have plans to improve the depth of integration between the two (and our other products) which is pretty exciting. The documentation for how to set them up:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Linking+Stash+with+JIRA

JIRA can definitely be little daunting, although honestly for any non-trivial sized project/team I can't think of anything else I'd rather use (I may be biased). I'm curious if you were using something before to track bugs?

Best of luck.

Charles

0 votes

Hey Charles

Thank's for the info. Yep, pretty much what I wanna do. Simply use Xcode w GIT-repsitories for my iOS dev projects. Will check out SourceTree to (don't worry about the sales picth).

But I saw in one of your Jira videos, that it would be possible to "link" Stash w Jira, so that every time I push / get / commit a version of my project from my Xcode 5 in the GIT repo, I would get automatic logging etc within Jira.

This is one of the big reasons to testing Jira out in the first place.
Otherwice Jira seems to be very big "overhead" for the little a need it to do - keep track of changes in my iOS dev projects, task and functions / version, misq notes, bug feedback and solution, track customer support / solutions etc...

0 votes

Hey Charles

Thank's for the info. Yep, pretty much what I wanna do. Simply use Xcode w GIT-repsitories for my iOS dev projects. Will check out SourceTree to (don't worry about the sales picth).

But I saw in one of your Jira videos, that it would be possible to "link" Stash w Jira, so that every time I push / get / commit a version of my project from my Xcode 5 in the GIT repo, I would get automatic logging etc within Jira.

This is one of the big reasons to testing Jira out in the first place.
Otherwice Jira seems to be very big "overhead" for the little a need it to do - keep track of changes in my iOS dev projects, task and functions / version, misq notes, bug feedback and solution, track customer support / solutions etc...

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2013

Hi Peter,

I'm from the Stash team. Just wondering what you mean by your XCode Git repository? Are you just talking about cloning and using repositories from Stash in XCode, or something else?

If that's the case then there isn't, to my knowledge, any special integration between Stash and XCode. You can treat Stash like you would any normal Git server. Just an FYI, if you haven't seen it Sourcetree has some nice integration points with Stash. (Sorry for the sales pitch)

I couldn't comment about JIRA and XCode though.

Charles

Suggest an answer