Using REST API, how do I know if the project is Scrum or Kanban or Basic

Ravi November 24, 2016

For project creation using REST API, we pass "projectTemplateKey" which is setup scrum, kanban or basic.

Similary, if the project is already created using JIRA UI, what is the REST API I should use to get the ProjectTemplateKey.

In the project json there is only projectTypeKey whcih says "software".

2 answers

0 votes
Raimundas Juska
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2018

Thank you for explanation. Anyway, in my case board type was what I really need, so this endpoint fits me perfectly.

Raimundas Juska
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2018

Mistakenly posted this here as a reply to Nic's reply below my comment. Seems no way to remove it now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2018

This forum platform is still lacking many of the functions Confluence Questions has, and moving/removing stuff is one of the these.

The way you are using your system now means that what you're doing is a perfectly good approach, and it will work fine for you.  My discussion was not to try to tell you to change (I'd rarely encourage change if the current thing is working!), just for the benefit of readers to understand how it works, so they can make it work for them.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2016

You don't - the scrum/kanban is only really part of the creation process.  It determines what board to create by default and the fields, workflows etc, but once created, the project is, well, a project.  You can create more boards that refer to it, of either scrum or kanban, and change the workflows, fields etc to make it work totally differently.

Gerardo Saborio August 22, 2018

Hello Nic

To know, My project is SCRUM or Agile, Have you created any new API?
Answer of your post is of 2016. After that, if you have created any new API then please provide me its URL.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

It's the same answer - projects are not "scrum" or "kanban", those words are just to select a board type to create alongside a Software project.  It's not stored, so there can't be a REST API for it.

Like Taiwo Ojo likes this
Gerardo Saborio August 22, 2018

Hi Nic,

Thanks for quick reply.

But if I want to know whether this project is in Agile or Scrum, then how will it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

All "scrum" projects are "Agile".

Raimundas Juska
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2018

Yes, you can - you can get a list of boards for a project and the types of the boards - /rest/agile/1.0/board?projectKeyOrId={projectKeyOrId}

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2018

Nope.  That tells you about the board, not the project.  Boards do not belong to projects, and you can point many points to a project.  If I create a Scrum project, I get a scrum board at the same time, but I can point a Kanban board at it if I want as well.

Raimundas Juska
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2018

I am a bit confused then, this endpoint shows each board's location (in a project) and it is not an array - it is a single value. So I assumed that each board belongs to a single project. 

Then you can get all boards belonging to a project here. And if all are of the same type you can safely assume this is the type of the project. If not, treat it as a mixed type project. Am I wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2018

A board can include issues from many projects.  You need to stop thinking of a board as being "in a project", as that's not true.  It can look like it, and the UI misleads us into thinking it in places, but a board can pull in many projects, and a project can be included in many boards.

>And if all are of the same type you can safely assume this is the type of the project

No.  I could create a Scrum project, create a couple of Kanban boards that include it, and delete the original scrum board.  The project would still be a scrum project, just one that has no scrum boards and several kanban boards looking at it.

John S. April 16, 2019

Relationship boards to projects makes sense.  Howvever back to this:

"It's the same answer - projects are not "scrum" or "kanban", those words are just to select a board type to create alongside a Software project.  It's not stored, so there can't be a REST API for it."

If this is the case - why then I do a "create project" action does Jira ask if I want to create a "scrum" project or a "kanban" project?

I too would like this answer.   What are the characteristics - literally - of scrum vs kanban projects?   (I don't mean "how are they used", which is well documented - I mean what are the physical literal rules for each project type).

Thanks.

(from a newbie)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2019

As I said before, the question is asked so Jira follows a template.  If you answer Scrum or Kanban, it creates a project, with the appropriate fields, and then a matching board.  But that has no effect afterwards - we can reconfigure the project any way we want, create many boards of different types and so-on.

The "characteristics of a scrum/kanban project" are just "how it was set up when it was created".  That's it.

Suggest an answer