Using Postfix with JIRA Incoming mail handler

Christopher Mangum November 13, 2014

We're currently trying to set up incoming email handlers in JIRA, and while the theory is sound, we're running into some sticky points with implementation. Previous to this, we've been running a homebrew script that receives email directly via postfix, and then uses the APIs to create tickets as needed. But since we've updated to a much newer version of JIRA, it seems like the perfect time to use the built-in email handlers if we can.

Our sticking point is with file ownership and permissions. We've gotten postfix to create a maildir-style mailbox (one file per email, like JIRA wants), and testing the email handler registers as seeing those files. However, the files postfix is creating are a) owned by nobody:nobody, and b) show up with read/write permissions limited strictly to owner, so we can't even get around it by adding our JIRA user on the server to the nobody group.

Has anyone else out there gotten this sort of setup (postfix to 'local files') to work? If so, have any pointers that may help us out?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2014

I'm not sure why you'd bother with Postfix -> local file. Why not use it for IMAPS (or IMAP, or POP3) and then the (relatively simple) connection in Jira to a standard mailbox?

Vinícius Ferrão June 7, 2019

Because this consumes licenses from mail software, and it's a waste of resources. SMTP would be the better option, but Jira does not support it, so local files must be used instead.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2019

I am sorry, but that makes no sense to me. 

Where are there licences (on top of "I am an email user on this system") involved?  What resources?  Jira supports SMTP for send, but needs a "mailbox" system for receive.  Atlassian could write yet another implementation of a mailbox, on top of SMTP.  But why re-invent yet another wheel when there's a vast amount of open-source/free/built-in software that does it already?

Suggest an answer