Using Jira Plans with Epics and User Stores that are in different projects?

Bret Truchan January 14, 2022

Hello!  Our company has an unusual way of organizing our Epics, User Stories, and Tasks.  We have one project called the "Product Board" where all of our epics reside.  Specific product section have their own projects, such as "Conferences" or "User Portal".

Our hierarchy looks like this:

• Product Board (Jira Project)
    • Epic (PB-1) for a new conferences feature
    • Epic (PB-2) for a new user portal feature
  •  Conferences (Jira Project)
    • User story that's linked to PB-1
    • Another user story that's linked to PB-1
    • etc...
  • User Portal (Jira Project)
    • User story that's linked to PB-2
    • Another user story that's linked to PB-2
    • etc...

Because the user stories and epics reside in different projects, I'm having some trouble getting them to appear nested properly in a Jira Plan.  In other words, I can't seem to get the user stories to show beneath the epics, even if I include both projects as Issue Sources.  Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2022

Hi @Bret Truchan,

We have something very similar setup where our Product team works on items that exist with our Plans "above" the epic level and exist within their own project.  In order to get them nested properly, we needed to configure the "Advanced Roadmaps Hierarchy Configuration":

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-custom-hierarchy-levels-in-advanced-roadmaps/

Have you set that up yet?  If not, I'd start there.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events