Using JQL to filter information about Zendesk (integration Jira)

rafaspimenta June 22, 2014

Can I use JQL to filter information from Jira integration with Zendesk?

For exemple:

JQL: "Zendesk status" = open

tks

Rafael Pimenta

Belo Horizonte - Brasil

8 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Luke Garner June 22, 2014

Hi, Rafael.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong but I don't think it's directly possible; I wasn't able to find any way (nor any information on how) to do that directly myself.

The way we worked around it was by creating a custom field in Jira (calling it 'Ticket status') and mapping it via inbound mapping to 'Status' field in Zendesk.

We then execute the queries in Jira against the local field.

Cheers,

Rafał

Rafal,

it might be obvious for you, but can you please tell me how can I set this field automatically. I do have connection from Zendesk to Jira, and I do have the ticket status in both, but the idea is to have a quick filter to filter the existing bugs that have connections to some zendesk tickets. So the idea is to use either this custom field or some existing jira+zendesk functionality in JQL filters.

Thanks

2 votes
Barbara Wait July 16, 2014

Hi,

I think I found an easier way to query issues with JQL. Zendesk adds a label to any issue which is created from or linked to from Zendesk. So, you can search for "labels = jira_escalated". This at least gives you the list of issues in JIRA from Zendesk so you can look at the Zendesk status when you open the issue.

May be too simplistic for what you want to do, but thought it might help.

Barbara

2 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2014

Rafael Pimenta,

Kocinski solution is correct. A custom field will need to be created in JIRA, that way it will work with JQL.

Cheers

Luciano

0 votes
Etienne Consoni September 12, 2014

Hi Barbara,

I've tried your solution, but it hasn't worked. In JIRA, the issues that came from Zendesk don't have a jira_escalated label. Do you know how could I correct it?

There aren't settings in JIRA and Zendesk add-ons...

Thank you,

Etienne

0 votes
Luke Garner June 30, 2014

Hi, Rafael.

Assuming that you use 'CustomWare Zendesk Connector Plugin' and have your connection with Zendesk already working, you enter admin mode and go to Plugins > Mappings.

Find the right connection in the 'View Mappings' screen and click 'Configure' next to it. This will reveal 'Configure Mappings' screen - there, you're looking for section 'Add Field Mapping' which will allow you to map Zendesk's 'Status' your new field in JIRA. Remember to set correct 'Direction' parameter.

As a side note - I have my 'Ticket status' field configured in JIRA as a 'Select List' with values corresponding to ticket statuses in Zendesk: New, Open, Pending, Solved (I haven't tried mapping to a free text field in JIRA but I assume it should work too). When configuring your field in JIRA make sure to set a 'Searcher' for it (in my case it's 'Select List Searcher') so that it can be used in queries.

Cheers

Rafał

0 votes
rafaspimenta June 26, 2014

I have created this custom field on Jira.

Any suggestions how to do this mapping in Zendesk or where do I find this information?

Tks

Rafael Pimenta

Belo Horizonte - Brasil

0 votes
Pedro Andrade June 25, 2014

I'm already providing these changes in Jira and Zendesk.

Thanks for the answers friends!

Grateful.

Rafael Pimenta

Belo Horizonte - Brasil

0 votes
rafaspimenta June 25, 2014

I'll suggest this change to the Zendesk tool in the company.

Thanks for the answers friends!

tks

Rafael Pimenta

Belo Horizonte - Brasil

Suggest an answer