Using JIRA with lots of users for open-source project

Wouter Mijnhart August 5, 2014

Hello,

I am having some problems and I am unable to find any information on the internet about my situation. My company is working on a project with four developers, and are using the JIRA/Stash combination for our issue management.

We published our open-source project but are now having problems with the administrative side. We host our own JIRA and Stash server with an 10-user license, and we would like to have our users to be able to post comments and make back and forth discussions about our project.

I have the idea that this is not possible with JIRA, due to the requirement of an user account. If you look at for example BitBucket, where thousands of users can reply and make back and forth discssions for free, this feels rather odd for me.

Is it possible to have non-developers (just users) comment on your project and make issues without the need to get a 1000-user license?

I hope you understand my situation.

Best regards,

Wouter

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2014

Hi Wouter,

Yes, you can. You will need to configure the anonymous access and set the proper Permission Scheme and Global Permissions. Just be aware that Licensing fees are quoted per number of 'active users'. An active user in JIRA is by definition any user account in the system with the "JIRA Users" global permission or the "JIRA Administrators" permission, i.e. anyone who can log in. Unlimited 'anonymous users' are permitted on all licenses.

More info about anonymous access: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allowing+users+to+create+issues+anonymously

More info about JIRA Licensing: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira#serverlicenses-9

Hope this helps!

Please let us know if you have any further question.

Cheers!

We are currently using that, but one big disavantage is that users don't have the possibility to identify themselfs because they can't fill in their name or e-mailaddress.

1 vote

We are currently using that, but one big disavantage is that users don't have the possibility to identify themselfs because they can't fill in their name or e-mailaddress.

Suggest an answer