Using JIRA with lots of users for open-source project

Hello,

I am having some problems and I am unable to find any information on the internet about my situation. My company is working on a project with four developers, and are using the JIRA/Stash combination for our issue management.

We published our open-source project but are now having problems with the administrative side. We host our own JIRA and Stash server with an 10-user license, and we would like to have our users to be able to post comments and make back and forth discussions about our project.

I have the idea that this is not possible with JIRA, due to the requirement of an user account. If you look at for example BitBucket, where thousands of users can reply and make back and forth discssions for free, this feels rather odd for me.

Is it possible to have non-developers (just users) comment on your project and make issues without the need to get a 1000-user license?

I hope you understand my situation.

Best regards,

Wouter

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Wouter,

Yes, you can. You will need to configure the anonymous access and set the proper Permission Scheme and Global Permissions. Just be aware that Licensing fees are quoted per number of 'active users'. An active user in JIRA is by definition any user account in the system with the "JIRA Users" global permission or the "JIRA Administrators" permission, i.e. anyone who can log in. Unlimited 'anonymous users' are permitted on all licenses.

More info about anonymous access: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allowing+users+to+create+issues+anonymously

More info about JIRA Licensing: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira#serverlicenses-9

Hope this helps!

Please let us know if you have any further question.

Cheers!

We are currently using that, but one big disavantage is that users don't have the possibility to identify themselfs because they can't fill in their name or e-mailaddress.

We are currently using that, but one big disavantage is that users don't have the possibility to identify themselfs because they can't fill in their name or e-mailaddress.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,001 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot