Using JIRA user properties to PREFILL (custom) fields on create

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

I've got a tricky question regarding JIRA user properties and am curious if anybody could send me in the right direction:

I'd like to store user properties (e.g. phone, department, hardware configuration, cost center, etc.) in JIRA and - now the tricky part - PREFILL an issue within the issue-create screen with these properties.

- I am familar with the concept of "how to prefill fields with javascript" (via field configurations)
- I do know, that there are several plugins (e.g. the JIRA Toolkit Plugin) which allow you to copy user properties to fields within POSTFUNCTIONS,

BUT the combination is currently the challenge.

Acceptance criteria:

1.) Only prefill content from user properties (granting reporter the possibility to overwrite them manually);
2.) Prefill in the create-screen (trigger "on create")

Anyone with a concrete idea will earn some karma points and my everlasting gratitude!

Cheers
Kai

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Cairns May 25, 2013

Hi. I recommend the Behaviours plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.plugin.Behaviours). I used it to prefil the user Title field in an edit transition. Here is the snippet of code I used as the server side validation script. Worked in JIRA 5.1

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.user.UserPropertyManager
ComponentManager componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance()
UserPropertyManager userPropManager = componentManager.getUserPropertyManager()

// Default values for Signee Name and Title
FormField formSigneeName = getFieldById("customfield_10460")
FormField formSigneeTitle = getFieldById("customfield_10553")
def currentUser = componentManager.jiraAuthenticationContext.getLoggedInUser()
formSigneeName.setFormValue(currentUser.getDisplayName())
formSigneeTitle.setFormValue(userPropManager.getPropertySet(currentUser).getString("jira.meta.title"))

Regards,

Chris

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2013

Hi Chris,

thanks for this answer. Although we had not installed the Behaviours Plugin so far, I did so right now and have to say: It works like charm and it is easy to set up. Many thanks! Well earned Karma-points!

Cheers

Kai

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

Using Javascript and REST you can achive,

check this inbuild rest api

http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#id165535

another way is you can develop your own REST plugin, check the doc

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/REST+Plugin+Module

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

Hi Rambanam,

thanks for your proposal. As far as I can see there is a rest-call (GET) fro the user but no call for the user properties, or have I missed some information?

Kind regards
Kai

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

On 10/Apr/2013 we'll release JJupin 2.5.3. Our new functionality, LiveFields, will go out of the beta.

You will be able to manipulate the screen on create:

http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/JJUPIN/Accessing+the+current+screen

and you will be able to pre-fill the screen with your stuff (be there properties!)

http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/JJUPIN/lfSet

Getting properties from user should be pretty straightforward: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/SIL/getUserProperty

If you can't wait, contact us and we'll provide you the snapshots :)

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

Hi Radu,

so far - having browsed the links for a few minutes - your plugin looks quite promising (I stumbled upon it already some time before). I'll have a second look at it and maybe it might be a solution. Nevertheless it is still a plugin-solution and might serve us, unless no other possibility without a plugin (jQuery/javascript + REST, etc) could be found.

Cheers
Kai

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

Hi Kai, just keep in mind that the release is on 10th of April. I understand perfectly, but in this case you can build your own plugin, add a rest resource to return the properties from the user (it's a 10 minutes job), and do whatever you like in JQuery (the disadvantage is again non-portability across JIRA versions).

Have fun,

Radu

0 votes
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

hi,

You can get the requested feature by using servlet and JQuery.

EX:

On a create screen you would want to prepopulate JIRA Custom Fields "Phone", "Department" from user properties (User may be reporter or user in usercustomfield or current user)

You can pass which user (User's whose properties need to be populated) as input to servlet (This can be done using java script and JQuery) - Sample url for servlet -http://xxx.xxx.com/plugins/servlet/servlettName?employee=yyyy

OR in the servlet code you can refer currentuser - Easy & simple

Then in the servlet code, you can fetch the properies related to required user.

Then from output/ servlet response, you can autofill the JIRA Customfields using script/ JQuery.

Note: You will have to call this servelt on any Field on the create screen using Jquery/ script

JIRA SERVLET MODULE - https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Servlet+Plugin+Module

Thanks,

Chaithra

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

Hi Chaithra,

thanks for the quick response. Looks promising. I'll have a deeper look at it with a fellow frontend guy within the next two or three days. As soon as we'll have it running I'll come back with feedback (and will mark the question as solved).

Cheers
Kai

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2013

Hi Chaithra,

after having a closer look to your proposal I am doubtingabout the servlet-solution. For me it seems that I need to have a plugin or backend-script being written for that. Something which is deployed to the JIRA-server, right?

Honestly I was looking for any solution which uses javascript/JQuery only, to fetch custom user properties. Rationale is that we do not want to alter any layers in the backend of our JIRA instance. Hope I didn't get your proposal wrong.

Kind regards
Kai

PS: The properties shall be taken from "currentUser" alway.

Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2013

Hi,

Yes, I meant you will have to write a servlet code.

We have written similar kind of servlet code & it is working fine.

Regards,

Chaithra

Suggest an answer