Using JIRA as an Intellectual Property Data Mgmt System?

Donal O'Connell July 29, 2014
Hello
I have an SME client who wishes to implement a basis IP creation 'factory' process (inventive idea capture -> inventive idea analysis -> review of the inventive idea by management -> and then possibly onto the patent application process using an external IP Firm if it makes business sense to try to obtain a patent)
However, they do not have the volume of inventive ideas or the financial budget to justify purchasing a commercial IP data management system
This SME client however currently uses the JIRA system within their engineering community, and JIRA is well entrenched within this engineering community
I am now analysing whether this JIRA system could be utilised to support their IP creation 'factory' process.
Does anyone in the community know if this is possible? Has any other company used JIRA for this purpose?
I trust that my question makes sense. I am happy to provide more clarity if needed
Best regards,
Donal

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2014

JIRA is pretty flexible. I don't see any problem with using it for this purpose. You'll need to create a special workflow and custom fields. You may also want to restrict some fields from being edited except by certain roles at points in the workflow. That is easily accomplished by only putting the field on a transition screen and the view screen and limiting the transition to the required role.

Suggest an answer