Using JIRA Portfolio for a non-Agile purpose

Emily Triyonis October 17, 2016

Does anyone who does not work in sprints or have 'releases' use JIRA Portfolio? Looking for pointers to get around the agile aspect of it for portfolio project management. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

Hi Emily,

I want to avoid to go into a discussion of what might be 'Agile' or not, but focus on the more formal concept of releases and sprints. Something I have been doing on several occasions, is use a time based concept as releases. This may be useful in a consultancy or any other environment where you rather have time based milestones instead of numbered releases.

I still use the concept of FixVersions in JIRA, but use months or quarters to label them. Examples may be "2016 | October" or "2017Q4". It works perfectly fine for the same purpose as a release: planning for work you need to get done by a given moment in time.

I think you can see sprints apart from releases. They help you plan, focus and visualize work on a shorter timeline and can be very useful outside a development environment as well. And if you don't need them, you can choose to plan in Kanban mode in Portfolio as well.

Suggest an answer