Using JIRA Helpdesk, emails marked as READ

Chris Ang March 22, 2017

Using JIRA Helpdesk, emails marked as READ all the time when arrive in my inbox after setting my email in Email Notifications/Requests.

It creates a new ticket if I mark the email as 'unread'

Is this a bug?

Help please

2 answers

0 votes
Chris Ang March 23, 2017

Thanks Phil,

Well yes the mailbox right now is support@qipoint.com and Id like to use JIRA to manage emails going to this inbox.

However, it is good to know what we need to action on or reply to. So seeing if it is read would let us know if we replied yet.

How would you suggest to handle this? Are we supposed to use just the online portal to view queue? Also, when a new ticket is created via web, how do I get an email notification, I cannot seem to get any, the only way is to go online to see it

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2017

Hi Chris Ang

The behaviour you describe is as expected. As JSD accesses any email service it needs to use a common approach across all email services to distinguish between emails awaiting action and emails already actioned. The approach taken is to mark actioned emails as READ. So if you reset the READ indicator JSD treats this as a new email and will process it accordingly. As the email does not contain a reference to an existing ticket (that is there is no key in the email) it will create a new ticket.

I am sure I am misunderstanding your comment about "my inbox" but I just want to check that the inbox used for JSD is exclusively used for JSD?

Hope this helps

Phill

Chris Ang March 23, 2017

How can I send some type of email to another account then so I at least get an email on my phone or can send an email to another account that I can track which one is read and not. When they all show as read in outlook, it is hard to know which ones are new and not yet read...

Chris Ang March 23, 2017

I saw something for triggers, or notifications also, but I changed the email under 'Notifications' but it did not seem to send duplicate ticket emails there. 

For example, a person creates a ticket (via web or email), I want to have an email account that gets an email a new ticket is created, and any interactions such as responses also send it an email, then I can mark as read as needed to know I followed up or read that already.

Suggest an answer