Using JIRA & Greenhopper together

programmation April 9, 2013

I've set up a whole lot of Issues in our system as "Features" thinking that's what would be needed. Under each Feature (roughly analogous to a screen in our iPhone app, but not quite exactly), I've listed outstanding things to do as sub-tasks.

I now want to put those sub-tasks onto a Sprint. We're not going to be able to do everything in one Feature all in one go. For a start, some Features have too many sub-tasks to allow us to complete them in one week (our cycle time). Then also we can't only concentrate on one area of the app - there are two of us doing the programming and we'd step on each other's toes in the code.

However I understand from other comments that it's not currently possible to take sub-tasks into Sprints independently of their parent Issue. This seems an arbitrary and unhelpful limitation to me, but if it is true, what should I do? Would it be better to convert my current (parent) Features into Epics, and then the sub-tasks into Stories or Tasks?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

Actually I'd be using the approach you suggested yourself. Features, as you say, seem like epics to me and as Greenhopper doesn't support the independant planning on subtask level, that's the way you should go.

Cheers Christian

programmation April 9, 2013

Thanks! Now I'm hoping I can find a way of updating all of them at once, because there's 250 of them all told.

Suggest an answer