Using Distribution Group with JIRA

Aaron Lee December 16, 2013

Hi,

I'm having an issue with getting a distribution group to work with JIRA. What I'm trying to do is have a distribution group's email address copied into JIRA so that JIRA will create an issue anytime one of our users emails this address. When I go to setup an email address for JIRA to pull information from, it wants a username and password for the address, but the address is a distribution group; it doesn't have a username and password.

Thanks,

Aaron

2 answers

0 votes
Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2014

As an added note, for anyone looking to use this solution, I found I needed to actually log in as the dummy user to make this work.  Before logging in, the notifications would not be sent even though the dummy user was part of the jira-users group and was marked as an active user.  (And yes, it was taking up a license seat before log in.)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013

The only way to really get a distribution group into Jira is to have a dummy account for it. i.e. mydistlist is a user who has the email my.dist.list@somewhere.comon the account.

However, you don't need one of these to create issues from email. What you actually want here is an single email address for Jira, not a list (and then you include it in the distribution list). See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Suggest an answer