Users no longer receiving emails when assigned an issue.

Phil Wiebe August 25, 2013

Since Jira 6.0, we've noticed that email notifications are not being sent when people are assigned issues.

* watchers are receiving their expected notifications

* subscribers are receiving their emailed filters

* email assignee is definitely set in the notification scheme

* the assignee and the reporter are different

* the users have permission to view the assigned issues.

We cannot figure it out. Any help is appreciated

9 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2013

Ok, well, that's probably it - there's a long-standing and very annoying flaw/design-failure/issue in Jira in that all activities fire a single event. When you use "assign issue", it fires "issue assigned". When you use "edit", it fires "edit". You can choose your own events for issue transitions. But if you use anything other than "assign issue", it fires events other than "issue assigned". In other words, you only get assigned emails if the assign issue function is used. Edits and transitions won't do it.

Florian Zink September 2, 2013

Hi Nic and thanks for the answer. I was looking all morning to find out, why the users didn't get any notification mails, when they were assigned an issue. Now I understand that you really have to push the "Assign" button rather than just entering the username in the "Assignee" field.

Are there any plans to fix that behaviour of JIRA, so that an IssueAssigned event gets fired even if you just change the assignee through the field, rather than the button?

BR

Florian

Sandra Axelsdottir [Tempo] March 9, 2017

This explanation from 2013 - is it still valid?

What would be the best way then to trigger emails to peopla that are assigned to issues with inline editing (or on the edit screen)? 

Issue updated is a terrible event to use.

Regards,
Sandra 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2017

It has changed, although the front-end behaviour has not.

Events are now clustered together, so changing the assignee during edit will now fire both events in a group, and listener code can react to that, but the notifications still only pick up one event

Sandra Axelsdottir [Tempo] March 9, 2017

So updating the assignee field does still not trigger a notification for "issue assigned" event in the notification scheme.

Zach Block April 27, 2018

Has anyone resolved this or found a solution?

Like Erwin Vrolijk likes this
1 vote
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2013

Hi there,

Have you checked if the users that does not receive those email are assigning the issue by themselves. If yes, they might choose "Do Not Notify Me" on their user preferences accessible trough their user profile page.

If it is set to "Do Not Notify Me", please change it to "Notify Me" and see if the issue persist.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Philip Netherclift November 17, 2014

I experience the same still. If "Issue Updated" doesn't have "Current Assignee", then the new assignee doesn't receive the email notification. Quite annoying that the rightmost change assignee function doesn't trigger the issue assigned notification but the issue updated notification.

Philip Netherclift November 17, 2014
0 votes
Teodomir Nenkov April 9, 2014

Hi Nic,

I hope you are well.

We are experiencing similar problem - one Jira user didn''t receive notification when the Team leader assigne new task to her using Assing button in the task, BUT she is receiving all other notifications from Jira. The problem is located only when task is assigned to her. I can't find anything in the logs, the notifications for the Project are ok:
Issue Assigned:

• All Watchers
  • Current Assignee
  • Reporter

I checked that "Email my on my own changes" is turned on.

Could you please advise how to fix it and what could be the reason?

0 votes
Manohar Venkataraman January 13, 2014

Nic, thanks for the explanation. I did some research and there has been a ticket out there for this since 2007 (??): https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12362

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2014

I knew I'd seen one, and voted on it, but t's not one I've bookmarked for a change. Thanks for digging it up!

0 votes

Nic i think you are correct - using the "Assign" button sends a notification email, but manually assigning by changing the assignee field on a screen or by in field editing does not. The change of assignee appears identically in the issue history, but only the change executed with the Assign button generated the email.

This basically means that we cannot make Assignee a mandatory field on any of the transitions, because assignees do not receive notifications if they are assigned by this method. This doesn't make sense to me - that a notification can be set which only works if you use one of 3 available methods of initiating an identical change.

the work around i think will be to set notifications on the workflow level (notify the assignee when an issue changes from state 1 to state 2). This still won't prevent people from changing assignee in edit mode though. is there a way of locking down the assignee filed so it can't be changed in edit mode or inline?

0 votes

whoops sorry didn't see your follow up response when i wrote the above. thanks for the additional details.

0 votes

thanks guys but as stated in the initial question the reporter and the assignee are different.

Nic, we have an assignee field on our transition screens where assignee is mandatory, and are setting it there. most people here have generally assigned by just changing the assignee attribute, not by clicking on the "Assign" button. But I am checking that out now to see if that makes a difference.

that would seem like a problem, if it were the cause. the vector you use for assigning an issue shouldn't change whether or not an assignee is notified.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2013

Is it the assignee the person making the changes? If so, have they got "Email my on my own changes" turned off?

When you say "assigned issues", can you confirm you're using the "assign" function and not just changing assignee as part of an issue update?

Suggest an answer