Users facing 500 and Error rendering WebPanel after upgrade JIRA from 6.4.14 to 7.2

Gema Socorro September 29, 2016

After upgrading from JIRA Server 6.4.14, the admin is getting this error, that makes the use of the menu unavailable.

Error rendering WebPanel (:button-resources-init/JIRA.Feedback.Plugin.button): Unable to compile Soy templates at: com.atlassian.feedback.jira-feedback-plugin:button-resources-init

Other users are getting a 500 error when trying to access JIRA, and this is the detail:

java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Root page 'com.atlassian.jira.gadgets:dashboard-page' does not exist

2 answers

0 votes
Leonardo Bertolo November 4, 2016

Ok, I just got word from Atlassian Support.

If you are seeing a lot of this in your catalina.out:

'com.atlassian.streams.streams-jira-plugin' - 'JIRA Activity Stream Plugin' failed to load.
The plugin has been disabled. A likely cause is that it timed out during initialisation

It seems that most of your System plugins are failing to startup due to time out limit reached.
I suggest you to try increasing the plugins timeout, by adding the following startup option in your JIRA options: 

-Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300 

as in Setting Properties and Options on Startup, then restart JIRA.

If the plugin timeout does not help, there is also the possibility of a third-party plugin is delaying the system plugins startup, that being said I suggest you to bypass all your third-party add-ons, by moving the content of the folder jira-home/plugins/installed-plugins to a backup folder, then try to restart JIRA once more.

That worked for me, I hope that helps you too.

Best regards,

Leonardo

0 votes
Leonardo Bertolo November 4, 2016

Hi, I'm facing the same issue.

Here's the error in the backend:

Error rendering WebPanel (:button-resources-init/JIRA.Feedback.Plugin.button): Unable to compile Soy templates at: com.atlassian.feedback.jira-feedback-plugin:button-resources-init

Users are getting http/500 in the frontpage. The control panel / admin backend is functional.

Did the full upgrade of plugins. I'm also running Service Desk.

JIRA Software: 7.2.4 (.bin upgrade)

JIRA Service Desk: 3.2.4 (upgrade from control panel)

Suggest an answer