Users can sometimes not link issues

Gregory Joseph June 23, 2013

We're observing this very odd issue where certain users can not, for a certain period of time, link issues. Symptoms seem to appear and disappear at random times.

At first, I thought we were seeing this https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/157332/can-t-link-issues-in-project-despite-having-permission - but really the error message is different, and the linked issues field is emptied. We get this message: "You must specify a JIRA issue to link to", which is the same as if you enter no issue indeed. And while inspecting the POST request that's sent when we try to confirm the "link" dialog, we indeed see that, for some reason, the issueLinkIDs parameter isn't passed in the POST request.

Unfortunately, we have no idea how to reproduce this at the moment. Logging out, clearing caches, logging back in, doesn't seem to help.

I don't believe it's a permission issues, since the same user is able to link "sometimes" (same issues being linked). We also tried with different browsers, and that's not it either (fails with both when it fails, works with both when it works).

Nothing seems to show up in the Jira logs when this happens.

We're using 5.2.5

We'll be happy to try anything you can think of to track this down ! Any clue ?

Cheers,

1 answer

1 vote
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

Hi Gregory,

This is odd indeed, do you have anything in front of JIRA, such as a proxy or load balancer, that may be interfering with the POST request?

In case yes, you may try to attempt to replicate the issue accessing JIRA directly via localhost.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Gregory Joseph June 24, 2013

We do have an Apache HTTPD in front, but really, it's just mod_proxy with ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse. However, I'll try next time we bump into the issue, for completeness' sake.

Gregory Joseph June 25, 2013

Sooo,.. thanks for the suggestion! But... just had a user bump into the issue again, tried with bypassing Apache, and unfortunately it didn't help.

M Hoogenboom March 12, 2014

Hi Gregory, have you ever pinned this to a cause? We seem to have a similar issue and run JIRA 5.2.5 as well.

Gregory Joseph March 12, 2014

Hey Mariska - hmmm. Not really, or not that I can remember (I was hoping to have an issue about it in our own Jira, but I can't find that either) - sorry ! We haven't seen the issue since.

M Hoogenboom March 12, 2014

Ok thanks. Hopefully we will have the same experience as you!

Suggest an answer