Users Group, Roles, Autorisations ...

Hanae alahcen April 24, 2013

i don't see the meaning of project roles and how to associate a new group of users that i created to project role

the second probleme is :

how to make a user create his own project , i see that only administrators can !

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2013

Groups and Roles are a bit confusing when you first encounter them.

To start with the easy one - groups really are just that - groups of users. A user can belong to none, one or many groups. A group is a collection of users. That's about it really.

Roles are more complex. A "role" in itself is just a description of a type of user that you *might* have in Jira. But, the roles then cascade down to projects. Within each project, you can put people into roles, and then the project can ask the question "is this user in role X, in this project?".

Then, on top of that, you can also say "group Y is also in the role of X" and everyone in the group automatically belongs to the role.

For the second problem, you're stuck. Only administrators can create projects. There are some tricks and workarounds, but they involve code and plugins, or doing things via administration accounts.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

And to add something more: Roles give the chance to have one user or a group for example as an administrator in one project but only a developer in other project.

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

Hi Hanae, as far as I know only admin can create projects and there's no possibility of giving those permissions to an user unless you give them the create project permission.

And project roles work as you want to. In my case I have for example Leaders who can create issues and resolve and close and I have Developers who only can do a few things like log work and create attachments, I have Analisists that can do almost the same thing and then I have Administrators too that can to the project administration.

You can define the permissions using the Permission scheme, in my case all I have in the scheme are permissions to Roles, nothing more. I think it's easier to mantain.

Hanae alahcen April 24, 2013

i think even " give them the create project permission." is not possible !

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2013

I think it's pretty understandable why there isn't such permission haha but what you ca do it's give the Jira administrator global permission for a few people (only a few!) that way more than one person will be able to create projects.

Remember that altought this is not the Jira System Administrator permission, the users with the Jira Administrator permission will be able to do a little more than only create projects.

Suggest an answer