UserVoice Plugin with Jira OnDemand

Lettingweb August 6, 2012

Hi,

Is there anyway to get the functionality of this (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.appfusions.jira.jira-uservoice) plugin with the on demand version of jira?

Thanks

Raymond

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2012

No. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Atlassian+OnDemand+Plugin+Policy

<sigh. every day someone asks about plugins and ondemand>

1 vote
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

@radm4 -

WRT UserVoice to JIRA - if you really need this, we can get you moved to 24x7 direct managed hosting that allows you to have all the benefits of OnDemand (in terms of ease of no headache easy IT admin support), and also all the plugins or integrations you want..

.. including AppFusions' UserVoice to JIRA integration.

Could have you migrated and rolling in a week, or two most.

Happy to help make this happen for you - send me a mail.

Best,

ELlen

ellen@appfusions.com

0 votes
Bharath Venkatesh January 15, 2015

Find the latest version of UserVoice plugin for JIRA

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2012

There are external voice control web services, but something has to provide the code to interface to jira. If you are are willing write code then you can do a poor man's version that simulates the plugin by having a external voice control web service upload the data to one of your servers and either build your REST Interface to Jira or use the jira client command line interface depending on where the functionality exists.

Yes, the REST API interface is available for OnDemand.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/34495/rest-api-for-ondemand

0 votes

I read that, however being new to Jira I thought there might be a custom connection or some other (possibly more manual) way around this which is why I asked "to get the functionality of this" not "to add this plugin".

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2012

This question was answered several times. Look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Atlassian+OnDemand+Plugin+Policy

Please see my comment above. Also this policy isn't make clear at all before you sign up for ondemand which is a bit disapointing when you find out about it, not much wonder people are asking about it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

("several times" = "several times a day". There's something broken in the documentation or communication around OnDemand policies - people simply aren't aware of it)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

Maybe someone from Atlassian is reading this and makes the onDemand signup more clear regarding this point. This might be a reason why so many people are asking this question here again and again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

Exactly - the fact that it's asked almost every day tells us that there's something very broken in the documentation.

As @radm4 points out it's not mentioned during sign-up either, or highlighted anywhere, so people are missing it. That helps explain the volume of questions here.

We really need a simple robot that would scan new questions for the words "plugin" and "OnDemand" and pipe up with "Hi, please read this policy document before posting". Plus some more emphasis in the signup from what @radm4 says.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

That's all true. But does it help, to downvote radm4s question ? Does it help to downvote Niks correct answer ? Cool down...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

No, it doesn't help to downvote a correct answer - it provokes people into downvoting you.

Sorry I didn't actually mean to down vote the answer. It won't let me vote it back up either.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

Oops, it won't let me undo my downvote either!

Anyway...I think we are all in agreement that it would be helpful if this whole thing was made clearer from start to finish to stop people asking the same question or being confused in the first place.

As a side question, is there any possibility of some sort of API that would mean a plugin for every platform wasn't needed? They could all talk to your ondemand instance via the same API methods using some sort of token to authenticate?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

Absolutely - I think we drifted off in that direction, and I completely agree that it's totally unclear that you can't add plugins to OnDemand (yet). The docs are good and clear, but obviously not find-able enough.

For an API, there is one - OnDemand has the same REST API as exposed in the other options, but that is an external API and it doesn't affect the way the server side works. Plugins bind into the server side and hence can affect it. If you've got an external thingy that does something with Jira over REST, it should work fine with OnDemand. There is no difference between OnDemand and self-hosted plugins, it's just that the list is limited for support and stability reasons. I know they're working on loosening the restriction.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2012

I completely agree the plugin policy is not obvious since it hidden under support and not front and center before people even buy the OnDemand service. Yes, it is also under th popular topics, but I think that is is true only because we need to refer people to the page everyday. If people understood what they bought, this type of question about OnDemand plugins would not be asked.

Thanks guys, will have a look at the REST API and see if we can use it as a solution for the moment.

Suggest an answer