User testing issue entry

Jeff Bluemel October 25, 2017

We are using KanBan boards with Epics and Story's. We have a team of 5 developers and only one non-dev tester. In our environment we rely heavily on users to test our software which is mainly for internal use.

As my users perform testing which basically consists of performing their normal tasks on an upgraded system I need a way for them to enter in issues that they find into Jira instead of receiving them via email.

These users do not have access to Jira at this time, which I am not against, however, they are not users of Jira either and I am looking for an easy way for them to document the issues they discover. KanBan boards do not allow the ability to setup request types like service desk projects.

If I had my choice I could setup a request type on a KanBan board that I could link to an Epic and create a new issue type called testing. This request type would be named based on the Epic/Project name and the test issue could be entered through the portal link by testers.

Hope that makes sense, again looking for an easy way to get issues entered by user testers that are linked to Epics.

Thanks..

1 answer

0 votes
Steven de Groot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2017

Hey Jeff,

You could explore the option to use incoming mail handlers.

You could setup a gmail account and link this account to your JIRA instance. Your users can send their requests and bugs to the specified e-mail address and it will automatically create a ticket for you. I'd recommend you create 1 account or use an existing account to log the tickets on behalf of the mail handler.

You can find a more detailed guide here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-802592933.html

Regards,

Steven

Suggest an answer