User story done incorrectly

Jira Median December 12, 2017

Hi,

We have a strange behavior.

A user story with 3 subtasks. 2 subtasks are in done status and 1 is in progress.
The problem is that the user story is in done while there is 1 subtask "in progress".

How change this ?

thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2017

You can use the "subtask blocking" workflow condition to prevent this from happenning.

Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/preventing-issues-from-being-closed-while-their-sub-task-are-still-open-724928276.html

Jira Median December 14, 2017

thanks. 

Is it the best practice or is it best to stay with default behavior ?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2017

I would say it is a best practice as it doesn't make sense to close a story when it still has subtasks in progress!

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2017

What do you mean by strange behaviour? User stories and subtasks by default do not have any relations in statuses. The story can be closed but sub tasks can be still open. If you want statuses of a story and its subtasks to be connected then you would need to add conditions or post functions. It depends on what you want and what plugins you have on your Jira instance.

0 votes
Jira Median December 14, 2017

I understand.

But The workflow behavior I want  is : when I drag n drop 1 of my 3 substaks to "in progress" the story status (was in done) go to "in progress".

Did The conditions and post functions method permits this ?

Suggest an answer