User's "Configure Fields" settings

Andrew Fisher June 10, 2013

From what we can tell (e.g. when creating an issue), the user's "configure fields" settings (e.g. customize to select which fields are or aren't displayed when creating a new issue) are stored / remembered as part of the user's account settings (we're on Jira 6.0).

Assuming the above is correct, we haven't been able to figure out what the default "configure settings" are for a new user. For example, if a user logs into Jira for the 1st time, goes to create an issue, and selects "configure settings", is "All" or "Custom" enabled, and how does Jira figure out which fields are selected in the "Custom" option by default? (Or is this somehow defined in the Screen Scheme / Field Configurations)?

Thanks,

5 answers

2 votes
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013

Yes, those fields should be defined in both Screen Scheme and Field configurations.

Andrew Fisher June 10, 2013

Thanks ck. (I'm still a little unclear though).

From looking back over the docs, they say (regarding creating an issue) that "Click Custom and select the fields you want to show or hide by selecting or clearing the relevant check boxes, respectively, or click All to show all fields. When you next create an issue, JIRA remembers your last choice of selected fields."

This appears to be working ok. What I'm not clear on is if the user has never logged in before (so there's nothing for Jira to remember about the last choice of selected fields), what does Jira default to (in terms of the fields displayed for that user by default)? It's possible that I missed something in the user settings or admin settings, but I have many fields enabled in both my Screen Scheme and Field Configuration, and some of these are disabled by default (for new users) in the "customize" portion of the "Create an issue" screen.

Thanks again

Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013

I am not sure : but for new users system fields should be displayed whereas custom fields are disabled by default.

1 vote
Ladislav Zastera October 16, 2019

Hello, we are 2 people in our office and I can see the "Configure Fields" button and my colleague can't. We also found out that for me in anonymous window the "Configure Fields" button is not visible. Any idea how this works?

Adidas AG December 14, 2020

Hi Ladislav, after working 10 years with Jira I observed the same behavior. My assumption was that this "Configure Fields" option is available for all users in the project having the permission to create issues.

Now I created a project where I am not in the Admin role and funny wise I dont see the option any more. After adding myself to the Admin role it became visible again.

This takes me to the conclusion that 

• the configure fields is only available for Admins
  • once an admin has set a custom configuration all other users in that project might also see the custom configuration

I will do some more tests to verify this

1 vote
Pier-Luc Boucher March 8, 2017

After searching for hours on the database, I could maybe help some people

If you want to know who use that function before removing the button, this is what I done (JIRA 6)

To find the property for the toggle between ALL field and CUSTOM

select *
from app_user e,
Propertyentry pr,
Propertynumber pn
where pr.entity_id = e.id
and pn.id = pr.id

and pr.property_key = 'jira.quick.create.use'
and pn.propertyvalue = '1'

This will get you all the user to change before removing the button

select *
from app_user e,
Propertyentry pr,
Propertytext pt
where e.user_key = 'plboucher'
and pr.entity_id = e.id
and pt.id = pr.id
and pr.property_key = 'jira.quick.create.fields'

This is the property that contain the field checked when the CUSTOM link is click

All I did, connect on SU for all the user that I found with the first select, select ALL for all of them

Finally I removed the field, with that code in the banner

<script type="text/javascript">
(function($) {
AJS.toInit(function(){
// init on load
AJS.$("#qf-field-picker-trigger").hide();
})
JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function (e, context) {
// init on refresh
AJS.$("#qf-field-picker-trigger").hide();
});
})(AJS.$);
</script>

1 vote
Terry Jeske May 28, 2015

Does anyone have any more information on this? We have some sophisticated screens with several custom fields. Having some of the fields hidden from them is really causing a problem, especially for our new users. Kind of a poor decision by Atlassian to hide any fields IMHO. That should be the Admin or the users decision.

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

I'm also still trying to find a solution of how to hide this Configure Fields option that hopefully doesn't involve putting code into each and every custom field's description. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/how-to-hide-the-configure-fields-button-on-the-create-issue-screen-317950124.html

0 votes
lececere June 25, 2019

I'm looking to just show All fields the first time a user uses a new issue type. I don't need to hide the "Configure Fields," just need the fields to all show up the first time a user uses the issue type. 

All I'm getting right now is the system fields and not any of the custom fields.

Is it possible to do that?

Morgan Folsom
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2019

By default, before a user has selected to Configure fields in any way - all of the fields that are on the screen of that issue type will show. This won't show every field in your instance, unless your screen has all of those fields. 

Screens are defined at a project level - Issue Types (bug, task, story) are mapped to Screen Schemes that define which screens display at which operation (when creating an issue v. editing an issue). 

To add custom fields to a screen, you need to be a Jira administrator. Atlassian's documentation on the subject can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/defining-a-screen-938847288.html

Like Eva Höglin likes this

Suggest an answer