User premission per project

Daniel Moczydłowski March 3, 2016

Hi Guys, 

I have a bit silly question, but I just can't figure out it.. 

I have few customers, so few projects in my Jira. Of course, I just want to let each customer see only projects related to them, not all of them. How can I achieve it ?  

Cheers,
Daniel  

2 answers

3 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2016

Hi dmoczydlowski NA,

You can achieve this by updating the permission scheme of each project and give the "browse issues" permission to only a selected group of people.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

JIRA has a default "open" set up.  There is a group called jira-users which is used in the global permissions to say "these people can log in as users". 

That's fine on its own, but the default settings are to use that group in the default roles as well, so that when you create a new project, it automatically adds jira-users into the role of "users".  The permission scheme says "browse: users", so you end up with every project allowing access to everyone who can log in.

To limit access usefully, you have to unpick that.  Remove the use of jira-users in every project role replacing it with only the people (or other groups) that should have access to that project.  I usually recommend either using a new group to say "can log in", or doing a complete strip of jira-users so that it it only used for global permissions

Suggest an answer