User not available as assignee

Kaustav Bhattacharya August 19, 2013

When I try to assign a task to a user, the user does not appear in the Assignee drop down and when I type the username in the assignee field Jira says "no matches".

My current setup is follows:

• I have created a new "users" group called "company-users" and I have added all internal employees to it
  • I have also created a new "external users" group and added a specific user to that group who is an external contractor.
  • I have updated all the confluence spaces so that company-users have access to them all and external user has access to only one confluence space. Then I have removed all users from the "user" group.

Solutions?

I believe I need to create a new permission schema (which I know how to do) and then assign a project to that schema. Is this correct? I tried this today and immediately after I assigned a project to the newly created permission scheme that project became invisible to the currently logged in user, who was the SysAdmin. How do I set up Jira so that existing tasks that are currently assigned to a company-user are assignable to the external contractor user?

7 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Fahd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2013

Hi Kaustav,

For users to be allowed as assignee in issues, those users must have Assignable Users permisson in the project permission scheme.

For project visibility, you can control the permission Browse Project.

Regards,
Fahd

Kaustav Bhattacharya August 19, 2013

Hi Fahd,

The penny finally dropped. I get it. All sorted! Thanks for your input.

Kaustav

Nikolay Bonev September 18, 2018

Simple and very helpful answer. 

Thanks, Fahd.

2 votes
Lillian Shibata-Salley May 14, 2019

I have 2 users. They are both in the same group, group is assignable and can browse project and I can assign one and the other does not show up.... Stumped... Any suggestions?

Errol Hariman May 29, 2019

Hi there

I'have the same problem with this... and looking answers a whole day

But then I Find out that I'm using custom screen schemes that didn't include the assignee column in the screen. You might want to check Project Setting - Screens for the specific Issue Type

Like Jason Dzillack likes this
1 vote
Niclas Wunderer March 31, 2021

This issue is not solved in my opinion. I went through the "Accepted Answer", but alas, the user was still not visible in the project. 

After taking a look at some of the other community members' suggestions (wasting an hour or so), I decided to the impossible: Delete the user and re-add them to the project with the same permissions and everything...

It worked

No error message was ever thrown, no indication why it did not work, just an "Accepted answer" that did not solve this in any way. 

0 votes
Natalie February 10, 2021

I have also the Same Problem. Any Solution???

0 votes
Kit S Kennedy June 2, 2020

I realize this is an old issue, but I am having the same problem.  I have checked the Project Screen Settings and Assignable Users permission.  I have 2 users that look identical to me, but one is assignable and the other is not.  I can't "@" the second user either.  Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dhuffer June 11, 2020

I am having this same issue, did you end up finding the solution ?

Razvan Nechifor June 29, 2020

The users are newly created (have Never logged in at login details)?

Kit S Kennedy June 30, 2020

You ask if the user has never logged in.  No,  the user has logged in but they may not have responded on an issue or created an issue themselves.  But it doesn't seem like that should matter.

Lisa McNab September 16, 2020

I've the same issue, someone who was active in the project has suddenly disappeared from the assignnee dropdown and can't be tagged @ in any comments.  He's still part of the project and has same rights as everyone else. 

Did anyone solve this?

Sokari November 17, 2020

I have the same issue. Any solution?

Like Natalie likes this
0 votes
amosfolarin November 23, 2018

seems this is in the System > Project Roles now... ugh...

0 votes
Jennifer Ping November 19, 2018

I'm having this same problem.  I added a user to the Service Desk Team group which has all the issue permissions assigned to it, but he still won't show up so that I can assign an issue to him.  Am I missing something?  This has worked in the past.

Suggest an answer