User moved to different LDAP directory

Vedant Kulkarni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2020

Hi There, There are 2 LDAP directories configured in Jira. Recently one of our user moved to different LDAP directory, but it is still showing us the user present in older directory.
Please suggest a workaround to fix this issue, so that the user can login in Jira through the same username but with newly updated directory.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2020

Hi,

I see that you have connected an LDAP user directory to Jira server and now you have a user that appears there, but is still only able to login with the other user directory credentials.

This can be expected though.  Jira understands that the same username might exist in multiple user directories.  However when this happens, Jira is setup to only allow credentials for the top ordered directory where that username appears.  This is also documented in Managing multiple directories.

So I expect that what is happening here is that username exists in both LDAP directories, but the other directory is ordered above the one you want here.  You can change the order of these in Jira, however please understand that before you do that, this will affect all user accounts that might exist both such LDAP directories.

If that is not desirable, then you might want to investigate trying to change the LDAP filter for the current directory so that it does not sync over this particular user account.  It might help to review How to write LDAP search filters.  If Jira does not see that username in the top ordered directory any longer, but does in the 2nd directory, then the password that account uses to login could then be used to login to Jira.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Andy

Suggest an answer