User managed groups

Daniel Tarpey April 28, 2013

I am looking for a solution that allows normal level (non-admin) users to manage there own groups.

I have a time tracking plugin that can filter on users in a JIRA group so I'm looking for a way to allow each team leader to own and manage only their teams group. Does anyone know of a way to achive this?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MadhanBabu April 29, 2013

Hi,

You can find a solution by writing a simple SOAP client..

The Client can internally run with the credentials of an administrator, for updating the groups.

Nevertheless, you can also authenticate the user, and also check if he belongs to some project roles, and then proceed with the updation of the group membership.

Daniel Tarpey April 29, 2013

Looks like this is the route to take, wanted to check for an existing solution before creating my own.

I would use REST though as I believe SOAP is now deprecated

Consu June 9, 2014

hello, I found your comment from last year. Have you then found any exisiting solution or you created your own? Which way did you follow?

thanks

Daniel Tarpey June 9, 2014

We didn't find an existing solution.

Before we started implementing our own solution we found a solution in the latest version of the time tracking plugin (Tempo) that allowed us to give rights to non JIRA admin users so they can edit "Tempo teams".

This solution is working for now.

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

Hi,

If you need to empower users and delegate group management to a set of selected users, I've recently published a plugin which might help! It's a brand new plugin so I'm really interested in feedback to give orientations to my roadmap!

You can try it out here, I'll be more than happy to improve it to suit more needs: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.caritteprod.group-ambassadors/server/overview

Cheers

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

Hi,

In my company, we have the same problem, and we will develop a plugin which manage users and groups.

0 votes
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

In Outlook/ Active Directory , you have Distribution List or groups which can be owned by the groups owner.

Note: If you are using LDAP then you can synch up Active Directory Groups with JIRA groups - refer https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory

Daniel Tarpey April 29, 2013

We are not using LDAP for JIRA access so unfortunately we would have to migrate to use this solution, it is something I will investigate though.

Suggest an answer