User limits in Jira for various user directories

Andrew Culver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2012

I've been reading about the recommended maximum number of users with various directory imlementations.

According to the following page: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/User+Management+Limitations+and+Recommendations

• For managing users withing Jira, the maximum recommended number of users is 500.
  • For managing users in an LDAP directory, the maximum recommended number of users is 10,000.

We have approximately 250,000 active user accounts in our LDAP.

My questions are:

1. Does the 500 recommended limit refer specifically to cases where you're using one instance of Jira as a directory for other instances of Jira (and other applications)?
    1. I.e., could we use a "Internal Directory with Delegated LDAP Authentication + Copy Users on First Login" setup and support our entire user base logging into Jira?
  2. Does the LDAP directory 10,000 recommended limit apply when managing users in Active Directory?
  3. What is the maximum recommended number of Jira users if we were to use Crowd?
  4. Does Crowd have any maximum recommended number of users depending on what directories we connect it to?

Thanks!
Andrew

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2012

1. That's just for using jira as the source of directory data, from eg, Confluence.

2. The 10k limit is the number for synchronising with LDAP, if you have more than 10k use filters (eg on user group) to reduce the number you sync. But for using the configuration you mention the number of users in LDAP is not an issue at all.

3 & 4. I will leave to someone that knows Crowd.

Personally I use the configuration you mention with a very large number of users and have no problem. I would like to do full synchronisation so people can be permissioned in a project before they've even logged in, but can't due to the performance.

Andrew Culver
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2012

Thanks for the reply Jamie.

2. We'd like it to be possible for any of our 250,000 users to login to Jira. If we limit the users with a filter, we'd be limiting most of our users from accessing Jira.

Which configuration do you use? "Internal Directory with Delegated LDAP Authentication + Copy Users on First Login"? Would you say this is the only option for allowing all of our users access to Jira?

Thanks,
Andrew

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2012

Yes, we use "Internal Directory with Delegated LDAP Authentication + Copy Users on First Login". In the old days we just had custom code that did the same thing.

If you use this setup then you don't need to limit with filters, and any of your quarter million users will be able to log on.

> Would you say this is the only option for allowing all of our users access to Jira

Yeah. I'd say so. What else do you feel that you need?

cheers, jamie

Andrew Culver
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2012

We manage group membership through AD for Confluence and other apps and had hoped to do the same with Jira, but I think we should be fine doing so from within Jira. If needed, I think we could write up some scripts that use the Jira API to manage group changes in bulk/automated.

Thanks again!
Andrew

Suggest an answer