User is only able to see issues that where reported by a group of people the user belongs to?

Christian Körner March 4, 2015

We have a scenario that requires us setup groups of users that are able to view issues that were reported by them.

Example:

User A, B and C are in a group of users. User D is in another group

User A should be able to see issues where either he is the reporter or B or C. He should not be able to see issues where user D is reporter.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2015

No.

This doesn't work in any JIRA that I know of.  The simple reason is that you have a group that says "can use jira".  Everyone is in that group.  Even if you remove that group, and explicitly say "groups A, B, C and D can use JIRA as well as the other stuff we use them for", you have a problem in that all new users get added to all "can log in" groups automatically.

Because of that problem, there is nothing in JIRA that will let you do this directly.

The closest you can get without code is to forget the user side of it and simply tag the group(s) into the issues - so issue 123 belongs to group AAA, issue 456 belongs to DDD and so-on.  It's often easier to not try to do this at an issue level, but separate them up into projects instead.

With a little bit of code, you can relate it to users - I wrote a simple post-function that wrote selected groups (i.e. never jira-users) from the reporter's membership on to the issue when the issue was created.  It wasn't intended for security like this, but the same principle could be used to store the data you need to enable you to do it (I would tend towards using a scripted field).  Once you have the "issue belongs to group(s)" data, you can use that in an "issue security scheme"

Suggest an answer