User help for complicated workflow.

msn September 8, 2014

Hi, I have a problem with our jira workflow knowledge in the organisation. I need to find a solution within a jira, that will works like a help, and make user know what they should do. Old jira version has a workflow diagram that is really hard to read. In new jira version diagrams looks great and they are helpful. But I want more,  is it available to put description for every step, and specially for actual step. Such a description should be available like diagrams from all issues, of course for different flows there will be different descriptions. Maybe there is a plugin that would be helpful?

3 answers

2 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

Hi,

We prepared a tab (e.g. Help) with scripted field (e.g. What to do) which give users information what to do in current step.

Our example of scripted field code: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/161651

Screenshow how effect looks like:

workflow_steps_help.png

Regards,
Florjan

1 vote
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

I do not think it is possible to do everything self-explaining for everyone. But at least you can add a short description as a "tool tip" which appears over the transition button. Although, as soon as you start working with Agile and columns, the need to explain processes will change.

Why not use meetings and trainings where it can be explained and described, how the workflow has to be followed?  

0 votes
msn September 8, 2014

Florjan,  this groovy code will contains specific code for every flow (yours, mine) or is it universa and I just need to copy-paste?

Could You send me screenshot how effects looks like, maybe private message if you don't like to send public.

Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2014

>> this groovy code will contains specific code for every flow (yours, mine) or is it universa and I just need to copy-paste? The code is almost "universal". You can change names of the properties (to e.g. description, in my code you will find names: fdescription and fresponsible) You also need to add description for each step in workflow. - In Property Key field of the step insert name of the property: e.g. description. - In Property Value enter the description of the field (e.g. Description - Paragraph 1 brxx Paragraph 2 brxx sxx text syy 2…)

Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2014

You can just add link to documentation (e.g. Confluence page) instead of description.

msn September 9, 2014

This user instructions are different for each step, or one global instruction. To add a link do I need script runner or other plugin?

Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2014

>>This user instructions are different for each step, or one global instruction The user instruction are different for each step (you need to add Property Key and Property Value for each step of the workflow). >>To add a link do I need script runner or other plugin? You need script runner.

msn September 13, 2014

Works :-) Im looking on the attached screen, how did You put big text on the status description. In example there is simple script and simple properties values. Properties values are small, just line. Are You puttimg most of the text via java, or by other way?

Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2014

Property value can be quite long. I inserted line breaks in text by entering "brxx" (it is impossible to add tags directly). Text brxx is replaced with <br> tag before displaying information in issue. Code in script for replacing brxx text: result =(fdescription =~ /brxx/).replaceAll("<br>") You can prepate text in your favourite editor and insert in jira into Property value field.

Suggest an answer