User having trouble giving another user permission to close a issue on a workflow

Derrick Youngblood March 11, 2013

I noticed in the 5.2.7 version of JIRA there is a feature called Permission Helper where you can find out if someone has access to an issue or not. Since I’m having trouble with the FACES helpdesk not being able to close an issue in CDBS, I plugged in the fields and came up with the results below. I still don’t know why the workflow buttons to close the issue are not showing up for him but I now know for sure the Permissions Scheme is not the issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Derrick Youngblood March 27, 2013

this has been resolved with the answer Nic gave

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2013

There's no picture of your results (this seems to happen to Answers a lot when trying to attach stuff, you're not alone...)

You need to have another look at both permissions AND your workflow. Permissions schemes are better thought of as a list of flags that don't really do anything about actions themselves. All actions in Jira are protected though - mostly by looking at the flags. For example, Jira doesn't think "they have edit permission so they can edit stuff", it thinks "this person is trying to edit. What does the code tell me to look at? Oh, if they have the edit flag, then let them do it".

In a lot of cases, like Edit, admin project, view workflows, etc, the permission is hard-coded, but for your workflow it is based entirely on Conditions. The really obvious condition is "user can only resolve an issue if they have the resolve flag in this project". But... you could do things like "user can only use the resolve transition if they've got the delete flag set in this project". Not really sane, but possible.

Basically, check the *conditions* on the workflow and you'll be able to work out why the user does or doesn't match them.

Derrick Youngblood March 11, 2013

So you think I should check the permission scheme for the project or on the workflow?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2013

Both. You need to read the workflow conditions, probably in conjunction with the permission scheme. Start with the workflow though.

Derrick Youngblood March 12, 2013

now do I check the workflow conditions in the workflow schemes...I have been trying to look there but I am not getting any where

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2013

You need to be an admin and able to edit the workflows, so you can look at the full details.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2013

No, you don't need to change anything - you just need the right to edit workflows - then you can look at them in the list of workflows. You don't need to look at schemes (other than to work out what workflows apply to a project/issue)

to edit a scheme, you must first disassociate all projects from it.

ok I see the list of workflows now what do I do?

I'm the server admin but when I do edit workflows I get

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2013

Click "steps" on the workflow you think is a problem, you'll get a text representation of it and you can then descend into the transitions to check their conditions.

ok let me see if I can do this and get back with you thanks lot for your help

Derrick Youngblood March 13, 2013

I’d believe that except all workflows work as designed when the user is in the DEVELOPER group.

It’s when I try to use the override with the user in the Developer Role to restrict them to just their projects have I ran into this problem.

Very bizarre.

Open(1)

In Progress(2)

On Hold(4)

Close(6)

This is how one workflow looks that works

Open(1)

In Progress(2)

Closed(3)

On Hold(4)

This one is the one that doesn't work does it have anything to do with what number the step is for example closed is the 3rd step but above its the last step?

I ask the user the same question and this was her reply:

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2013

Step back - you've given us a list of transitions. The number in brackets is simply the unique id of the transition in the workflow definition, it doesn't really matter too much. What you need to do next is descend into the transitions and look at the "conditions" on them.

How do we do that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2013

Click on them

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2013

There is a condition for close how do we get rid of it?

Derrick Youngblood March 19, 2013

this helped thanks

Suggest an answer