User groups added under project roles for all projects ?

sn February 23, 2018

hi all,

users of JIRA 7.3 Server.

we are not the original Admins. that was passed on to us by another team. I'm not clear on some Project role permissions.

There are 7 Project roles in our JIRA and under each of these project roles, there are user groups that are associated. The default permission scheme uses some of the user groups.

Under each project>project roles> I see that different user groups are added for different project roles. I'm not sure how and why this is set like this ? we initially had JIRA 6.4+ Agile and we upgraded to 7.3.

I tested in our QA- created a new project role, associated that with a permission scheme but when I created a project, I had to manually add a user group to the project role.

when I created a project2 with the project1 shared configuration, it did not pass the newly added roles..

I read the documents but I'm not understanding why this was set up originally. I strongly believe that users groups were not added to each individual project manually.

Any newly created project is getting this default ?

was that out of the box or something ?

what is users groups under project role exactly achieving ?

thanks !

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

7 has a slightly different approach to letting people in to work with Jira than 6, but the way users and groups get into roles has not changed.

Have a look at Admin -> System -> Project roles - you'll find that each role can have a "default", which is where I think you are getting these settings from.

sn February 23, 2018

Perfect Nic !! thank you !!!

Suggest an answer