User getting License Storage Exception with supported version of JIRA and UPM

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2013

I found this other question, https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/73136/why-do-customers-get-a-classnotfoundexception-for-pluginlicensestoragemanager-when-using-our-plugin which sounds like my users problem, only I have followed @ben-woskow-atlassian 's advice to a T.

I hate to create a duplicate question, but did not want to derail that discussion, or post a false-answer.

Based on @"ben-woskow-atlassian" 's answer to the above user's question I validated my approach for .jar distribution.

<plugin>
                <groupId>com.atlassian.maven.plugins</groupId>
                <artifactId>maven-jira-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>${amps.version}</version>
                <extensions>true</extensions>
                <configuration>
                    <productVersion>${jira.version}</productVersion>
                    <productDataVersion>${jira.version}</productDataVersion>
                    <log4jProperties>src/main/resources/overrides/log4j.properties</log4jProperties>
                    <productDataPath>${basedir}/src/test/resources/generated-test-resources.zip</productDataPath>
                    <instructions>
                        <Private-Package>com.atlassian.upm.license.storage.lib*</Private-Package>
                        <DynamicImport-Package>com.atlassian.upm.api.license.entity;version="2.0.1", com.atlassian.upm.api.license;version="2.0.1", com.atlassian.upm.api.util;version="2.0.1", com.atlassian.upm.license.storage.plugin;version="${upm.license.compatibility.version}"</DynamicImport-Package>
                    </instructions>
                    <bundledArtifacts>
                        <bundledArtifact>
                            <groupId>com.atlassian.upm</groupId>
                            <artifactId>atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin</artifactId>
                            <version>1.6.3</version>
                        </bundledArtifact>
                        <bundledArtifact>
                            <groupId>com.atlassian.upm</groupId>
                            <artifactId>plugin-license-storage-plugin</artifactId>
                            <version>${upm.license.compatibility.version}</version>
                        </bundledArtifact>
                    </bundledArtifacts>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

But a user of my plugin running JIRA 5.1.3 and UPM 2.1.5 is getting the same exception. (note that many other users have installed using evaluation and paid licenses)

```Sorry, but we cannot find the required licensing support to execute the requested operation. Please ensure that the Plugin License Storage plugin is installed and enabled. Restarting this plugin should resolve the problem.```

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
BenW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2013

Since only one of your customers has run into this problem but most others don't, this is likely some sort of error/incompatibility with the customers' environment rather than strictly an error in your plugin. The customer might have an older version of the Plugin License Storage plugin installed which had some sort of unexpected/conflicting error when your plugin installed (which, if in this case, would trigger a newer Plugin License Storage plugin version to install). Can you ask your customer if they know what version of Plugin License Storage plugin was present prior to installing your plugin? Alternatively they can tell you which other "Paid via Atlassian" plugins/versions they have installed, at which point you can try and reproduce their plugin configuration locally. To do this you'd have to download/install the same combination of "Paid via Atlassian" plugins/versions, but would not have to license them.

Have you tried the OBR distribution model? This might help solve your problem.

Also, what is your "upm.license.compatibility.version" property set to?

Cheers,
Ben

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2013

Thanks for taking a look @Ben !

My UPM compatibility version is 2.3 - so perhaps that is my problem if the client is still back on 2.1.5.

I and inquired about the license-storage-plugin version

For the OBR distribution, i would have to make the changes of DynamicImport -> Import, and your other advice from the previous thread, but not knowing much about OBR is there a doc you could point me to, that would help me understand it's value over a jar?

My (most basic) understanding (misconception?) is that OBRs support runtime resolution of dependencies required for a plugin?

BenW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2013

Take a look at this page (which is also linked from the OBR instructions). An OBR is essentially a zip file containing multiple plugins/bundles. It allows you to install any dependencies prior to your plugin's installation. JARs are sufficient in most cases because most plugins aren't complex enough to need the OBR installation, but this can happen based on where/how the licensing API is used in your code.

Cheers,
Ben

P.S. Your "upm.license.compatibility.version" is fine - I don't think that is a problem.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2013

Thanks @ben.

User never got back to me with the storage plugin version, or additional details after I suggested consdering an update to UPM. So I am not sure if that means they just gave up, or it fixed the issue.

Thanks for the help!

Suggest an answer