User can't log in

Erika Morgan June 4, 2013

One of our users is unable to log in. We have checked the user name and reset the password (both from his computer and via admin). The email link takes hime to a the login page but it's not allowing validatopn. We have reindexed.

9 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Erika Morgan October 9, 2013

All fixed by helpful Atlassian Support Team -- none of the above worked /were the problem.

Christopher May 13, 2015

We have the same problem. Could you tell us what was the Atlassian team solution ?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Geoff Halstead October 3, 2013

Atlassian: Simplify and debug your Permissioning system. It is preposterous that there is no easy way to assign users only to specific projects. Instead you have to go through a convoluted & perplexing process with Permissions. I have spent several hours trying to accomplish one simple thing: give my developers access to the projects they are working on without accessing all of our internal company projects & work. Then when I tried to test their access, which is still not working, I learned that there is some "Application Permission" that I have to grant. I logged into my admin account in another browser and checked, but that is not the issue. The user has access.

But meanwhile I am still logged into their account on chrome because I have encountered the bug detailed on this page, which prevents me from logging out so I can log back in with my account!

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/177188/user-can-t-log-in

I have tried clearing my cookies and I am still locked out - or locked in to this defective account - in Chrome.

This is not good. There are many things I like in JIRA, but this set of issues is turning into a deal breaker rapidly.

This is a MAJOR bug caused by an unnecessarily convoluted process.

Andres Garcia February 23, 2014

I wholehartedly agree with @Geoff. How can you simply assign a user to a project? I am trying handling roles, permission schemes, etc. but I get the same issue. When logging as the regular user, I can't log back in, I see nothing, and I still see the Login button.

Has anyone been able to fix this?

1 vote
Erika Morgan June 5, 2013

All fixed by helpful Atlassian Support Team -- none of the above worked /were the problem. Thanks for all the help though

1 vote
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

Don't worry about re-indexing, it's nothing to do with authentication. Without sounding too obvious:

* Have you made sure their CAPS isn't on

* Have you tried typing the password into an editor to make sure it's right, even cut & paste it in

* Have you tried it from your PC?

* Have you tried a different browser?

* is the user a member of jira-users?

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2013

Or most likely the 'users' group in OnDemand.

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013
Larry Daniele July 7, 2013

Lack of "application access" was the source of a mysterious problem for one of our users after moving our JIRA database to Atlassian's hosted online service. The user in question would log in, see our JIRA page (without any projects they were entititled to see) and then continue to see the Log In butoon. Pressing the Log In button would bring the user back to the same screen with no opportunity to log out. Clearing the cookie for the site from the browser was the only way to get the Log In button to work again. Sounds like there's a bug in there somewhere. But going to "application access" and checking the box next to this user's name did the trick for me. Thanks Bhushan!

0 votes
Brian Janiszewski April 1, 2019

What was the solution?

Gabriel Viger April 15, 2019

Ask your users to empty their cache and cookies (choosing the all time options in Chrome).

It should work after this.

Thanks!

Gabriel

0 votes
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2016

Our https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Unable+to+login+to+JIRA+applications KB may help further here for other encountering problems.

0 votes
David Rogers February 12, 2014

I was able to fix this by toggling the application access off and then back on after it did not work the first time. User needs to be a "user" and also to have access to Jira in the application access area. I tested this with an incognito browser to be sure i was not sending any old cookies.

0 votes
Erika Morgan June 5, 2013

Sadly this didn't work

Suggest an answer