User - Supervisor hierarchy and an advise on required steps/business requirements

Elmer Victor February 13, 2013

Hi!

We're currently evaluating JIRA v 5.2.5/download installed in Windows 7 and using Oracle 11g as DB.

Is there any way that we can setup a user-supervisor hierarchy. Like a reporter can only set the assignee to his/her supervisor?

Any advise where to start base on business requirements below?

Basically, we're trying to accomplish a flow like...

1. User create issue ( like a program enhancement request)
  2. Forward the request to Immediate Dept. Supervisor for Approval. The assignee field should be based on the user-supervisor hierarchy
  3. Department supervisor evaluates/approves the request
  4. Supervisor endorse the request to I.T. Head
  5. I.T. Head then evaluates/approve the request
  6. I.T. Head assigns development work, depending on the affected objects, One or More developers.
  7. And the normal Development to UAT to Production flow.

The numbers 2. and 6. are a bit complicated, well at least for a beginner like me.

Warm regards,

Elmer

2 answers

0 votes
ken isaacson August 26, 2013

As multiple projects for this kind of workflow doesn't really fit my needs, especially as the workflow would transition to multiple people's supervisors, is there any way to specify a user's supervisor/manager somewhere to faciliate this kind of workflow?

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

I think this would be something for the Conditions feature, you would set up a workflow transition with the User is Member of <Supervisors> Group to protect Issues from unauthorised Transition.

<Approver>'s dashboard would be populated with filters of the

status is in (approval, needed, statuses)

nature, and she would click the first one and then use hotkeys to scroll through the list as part of her workflow.

Elmer Victor February 13, 2013

Hi John,

Will look into Conditions feature.

Does that mean that I need to create multiple groups?

Is there a way that we can setup a user account and include his/her immediate supervisor (of course an existing user account) like an organzational chart?

Mr. Sander (President)

-John(Accounting Head)

-Michelle(Accounting Supervisor)

-Joseph(Accounting Clerk)

-Martin(Accounting Clerk)

-Stephen(I.T. Head)

-Christian (Project Manager)

-Robert(Developer)

-Michael(Developer)

-Richard(Project Manager)

-Steve(Developer)

-Charles(Developer)

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

If it's the case that you want to have each individual's tickets only approvable by that user's manager, it's done by giving each Project Manager a different Project and setting a specific workflow for each Project or Issue Type where the Condition limits to the person in the Project Manager role for that Project.

Suggest an answer