User Management - LDAP

kesavan bakthavatsalam October 19, 2015

Hi,

I would like to create a group(e.g Group A) in the LDAP directory and only the users in that group should be allowed to access JIRA during login. To achieve this , how to configure in LDAP configure settings page? Please let me know the specific fields (with values) that needs to be filled in.

Thanks,

Kesavan

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2015

>I would like to create a group(e.g Group A) in the LDAP directory and only the users in that group should be allowed to access JIRA during login.

This bit is easy - go to global permissions and put group A into the "JIRA users" permission so that they can log in.  After you have that working, remove the other groups in there (typically it will be just "JIRA users")

> how to configure in LDAP configure settings page? Please let me know the specific fields (with values) that needs to be filled in.

We can't tell you that.  You need to configure LDAP according to your LDAP server's setup - we don't know your server, domains, username, password or anything else that goes on that page, it's all your data.

kesavan bakthavatsalam October 20, 2015

Thanks Nic Brough. > how to configure in LDAP configure settings page? Please let me know the specific fields (with values) that needs to be filled in. I would like to know , where do i mention the group name of LDAP directory in my LDAP configuration settings page. To be more specific, i would like to know which field i need to configure and what will be the field value for my scenario. Thanks in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2015

I can't tell you how your LDAP is set up or how to configure something to connect to it. What is the server name? What's the user you're going to connect with? What CN/DN are you going to use? If you want me to tell you those, then you'll have to tell me what they are. Then I can respond with exactly the same information and say "put them into the right fields in the config screen"

kesavan bakthavatsalam October 22, 2015

Hi Nic Brough, I am not asking all the configuration settings in LDAP. I am just asking where to specify my LDAP group namely Group A (i.e which field in the settings page) so that it gets populated in JIRA on login. Thanks, Kesavan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2015

I think you are misunderstanding how user directories work. I'm sorry, I've been misunderstanding the question as well, as I focussed on the LDAP settings and forgot to think about what you *might* be asking, for which I apologise. LDAP provides Confluence with users and the groups they are in. It doesn't care what Confluence does with that information, it just provides it. So for "user can log in", forget LDAP. You want to tell Confluence "these people can log in". So go to Confluence global permissions and look at the "can use" permission in there. You'll find it names groups (the default is the internal "confluence users" group). Add to that list and find the group(s) coming from LDAP.

Suggest an answer