User Cannot See Issues They Create

Stacey Haysler May 7, 2013

I created a client user for a support client. The user cannot see the issues they create. The "All Issues" search comes up empty.

The "Reported by Me" search produces the following error: Field 'reporter' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

The user has full permissions to view and edit issues, so I'm not sure why they can't see their own issues.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Paul - Thank you. I created a group for just this project, and added this user to that group. That fixed it.

What frustrates me is that I set the "browse projects" to the settings Atlassian Help said to use to restrict their access to the one project.

What an incredibly opaque system. I am carving this into granite for future reference, as it will come up repeatedly.

Thank you again for enlightenment!

Stacey

0 votes
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2013

Check the permission scheme that the project makes use of. The mentioned user might not be included in one or more project permissions. Another good place to look at is the Permission Helper. Just access https://<your account>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/PermissionHelperAdmin.jspa and see if you discover anything.

Hope it helps

They have permission to create, view, and edit issues. What other permissions would they need?

Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2013

Check the Issue Security of the project. You might have a scheme configured preventing the user to view those issues.

We do not use Issue Security, so there are no restrictions.

All of the issue permissions are allowed for this user.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Stacey - I don't know what 'reported by me' search you're refering to, but what happens when this user issues this query?

reporter = currentUser()

If the user was able to create the issue on that project, he must be able to see it, all things in this thread true. Are you sure your useri s signed into Atlassian?

Paul - Running the query

reporter = currentUser()

gives this error:

Field 'reporter' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Again, the user has permission to create, view, edit, and comment on issues, so I can't figure out what could be blocking them from seeing the issues.

Paul - I'm signed in as this user into our Atlassian OnDemand account. As this user, I create the issue, and can't see it in the user account.

When I log into my Admin account in a different browser, I can see the issues.

The "reported by me" is a search option in the left column of the issue viewer screen.

I'm not sure what you mean by "issue this query". These are the options in the issue viewer:

My Open Issues

Reported By Me

Recently Viewed

All Issues

Choosing "My Open Issues" gives two errors:

Field 'assignee' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Field 'resolution' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Choosing "Reported by Me" gives this error:
Field 'reporter' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Choosing either of the other two gives "No issues were found to match your search".

The user has full permission to create, view, edit, and comment on issues.

This is making me crazy, as I have to make this work before we give the client the log in.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Let's back up a minute...trying to keep it simple and rule out the obvious.

When you goto: Administration (gear icon top right) >> Projects >> (Select this project you're working with) >> Permissions (left nav), is this project's 'permissions scheme' set correctly for your needs?

How about when you goto Administration (gear icon top right) >> Projects >> (Select this project you're working with) >> Roles (left nav), is that person listed as a user or included in one of the groups associated with one of the project roles?

Paul - Yes, and yes.

The only restriction on this user is that they can view only one project, which is the project I'm creating the test issues on, because obviously we do not want them viewing the tech details of other clients' projects. There are no other changes from the Default permission schemes.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Stacey, let's debug that guy's permissions.

Goto the issue in question, full screen view...click the More button at the top of the issue. Select Permission Helper. Enter that user's name. Select the default, Browse Projects. What do you get?

Jeison
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2013

Paul - The result is "[user] does not have the 'Browse Projects' permission", which is correct - we don't want them browsing all the projects, we want them to see only their project.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

There is your problem. The user must have browse projects permission for that project; else, they see nothing. the reason he could create the issue in the first place was because he likely has the create issues permission.

You need to create a group called users; add all of your local folks into this group, so they can browse all of the projects, at least. If that's your need...This contractor you have should not be in this group.

Put this person into a group called contractors and assign that group explicitly to this one project as a software developer role (so he can do his job).

Suggest an answer