User Access Changes

Danny Thakkar January 11, 2016

Hi,

I made some changes to the User Permissions to our projects. Now none of our users (including admins) are able to access the projects.

Is there a way to roll back and undo these changes?

Also, how do I give configure permissions so that only certain users have access to certain projects?

1 answer

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2016

There is not an easy way of rolling back the changes that you made. If you have a recent XML backup from before you made the changes you could copy this in to a development environment and manually restore to match.

The simplest approach to managing permissions for different projects is to use a permission scheme that looks at the roles the user has within the project. So for example delete all comments, amend all comments would be appropriate for a Project Administrator; whereas add comment; edit own comment could be for all users. 

As one of the key permissions is the browse project if you set this to the users role for the project the Project Administrator can then add/remove users from this role as appropriate controlling who has access.

The issue is -

I went under Administration, selected the project, went in Roles, added few users as Administrators for this project.

But the people whom I added here are not able to access this project. But this project is being accessed by some other users who are not in this list.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2016

Ok so if you look at the permission scheme what is the rules for people who can access the project? Is it as I suggested those with the role of users? If not this combination of permission scheme and roles is where you should look to adjust.

Also, I do not have an XML Backup. I am OK if the they can roll back to 1 day or 2 as I have not made any changes since few days.

In the Permission Schema, there are lots of permissions.. One of it is - Administer Projects Ability to administer a project in JIRA. - Project Role (Administrators) Under users and roles - I have added myself as Administrator this project. When I go to Confluence, I am able to access this Space. But when I go to Jira to access this project it tells me I do not have the permission.

I added myself as USER as well under users and Roles. Now I am able to access the Project.

I created a new user. When I go to users and roles of a project, I do not see this user added. But when I login as this user, I can access the Confluence Space for this project. Do you know what might be the issue? There are 2 more projects, I have NOT added this user to those projects as well. This user is not able to access these 2 projects. (which is good).

I found the issue. Thank you so much!

Suggest an answer