Use the project category field in the reports

u81545 June 7, 2012

I'm interested in statistics of all the projects in our JIRA grouping by Project Category. Unfortunately this field does not appear in the available fields for reporting and also it cannot be added to the issue navigator columns.

I think it'd be quite useful to have it.

Has anybody found a way to solve this?

2 answers

0 votes
u81545 June 7, 2012

Yeah I wrote about your plugin. But as you said... OnDemand has its limitations.

However, it's strange JIRA does not implement a real use for the Project Category as it may be.

Thanks anyway Nic!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2012

Heh. Category is a really simple flag on a project, and, as you've discovered, pretty much neglected everywhere. Version 4 of Jira at least allowed you to search on it (unlike 3.x), but even 5.x hasn't improved the output.

My answer for Jira 3.6 was to code a really simple derived field that drew it out into the navigator and provided a simple searcher for it. I never had time to fix it for version 4 (the simple select searcher never worked) due to things like paid work, family, social life, cake and beer getting in the way.

You're more than welcome to the code I've left lying around at https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JPCS/Jira+Category+Display+field

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2012

Oops, I missed the onDemand flag again. You can't add plugins to OnDemand, so you're stuck with it I'm afraid.

Suggest an answer