Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Use status Done, Closed or both?

I see a lot of questions about Closed vs Resolved, but I am wondering about the Done vs Closed.

I now have a workflow like this: Backlog -> To do -> ... -> Done -> Closed.

On the Done there is no Resolve Screen, but Closed has with resolution, description etc.

I was asked why I would use both Done and Closed, and I can't say I have found a good answer or explanation about this.

Why not just use Done or just use Closed? Is there any use cases where both is necessary?

If anyone can share any good practices and thoughts around Done and Closed I would very much appreciate it!

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Marte Kristoffersen 

I would say it depend of your needs. You can use done for developer, when they finish a task they push the ticket in the done status and then you have the QA or client that will check that the solution suit their need and close the ticket.

But you can also use only one status, juste change your workflow and transition screen.

0 votes
Jana Pelz I'm New Here Jun 02, 2022

Hi Folks,

all agreed. We use more or less the same procedure within our workflows. Status "Done" without resolution used from the team to show that they are done with implementation and internal testing. "CLOSED" with a resolution for customers acceptance. 

BUT! - there is an issue in case you are using Advanced Roadmaps for your project planning (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/troubleshoot-missing-issues-in-advanced-roadmaps-1044784180.html). Issues with (green) Status "DONE" not having a resolution do not appear in the plan. And the only workaround is to change the whole workflow logic that worked perfectly for years. 

This is very annoying for us and I thought you might find this information useful. 

Hi @Marte Kristoffersen 

From my perspective, they are different, DONE is when the assigned issue is done, but it might not be closed until the QA (Quality Assurance) team confirm the issue is done correctly, I think CLOSED just means the issue is completed and verified. I think it depends on the way you want it to be. Jira is flexible.

0 votes
Pramodh M Community Leader Jan 28, 2022

Hi @Marte Kristoffersen 

Here is my thought!!

Most Organizations would go with the Closed Status to mark the issue as really closed one

In your workflow, 

To Do --> In Progress --> Done --> Closed

Have the Resolution set when the issue is moved to Done Status. It's not quite necessary that the task may be completed when the issue is moved to Done because the Bug may arise or any pending work may be there,

so here you could wither include reopen transition to In Progress, or create a new issue linking to Done issue.

Let's say your issue which is moved to Done status is stale for atleast 10 days, then its better we move the issue Closed status which really means the task is done related to the issue.

Thanks

In an Agile development team we talk in terms of 'getting done' and 'definition of done' not in terms of 'closed'.

In an Agile development team the issue (pbi) is owned by the whole team, there are no internal stage gates like BA/Dec/QA so once the work is done...... It's done. Done has always been the final stage and there's a clue in the word 'DONE'.

I've seen some teams hang on to Done issues and delay closing the workflow until it's integrated or released. Again this is adding dependencies out of the teams control. Waiting for environments to be ready and other teams to test. This just supports the dependency problem.

So you get to a large organisation, there's lots of teams, lots of different use cases and abilities and invariably you get the Scrum Masters wanting to get done and the Project Managers relishing every halting step of the waterfall workflow to close the ticket.

It really undermines 'best practice'  and 22 years of proven process.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you