Use a modal dialog instead of issue detail sidebar in board and backlog

Jarrad September 26, 2017

I am working with a team to transition them from Trello to using Jira Cloud with a Kanban board. They are used to seeing issue details in a modal dialog in Trello, rather than in a sidebar as Jira does in the backlog and board views. The modal dialog in Trello had more screen real estate to show everything, and coming from this, the Jira sidebar seems very compressed with low visibility of fields.

Is there any setting (or plugin?) that allows the sidebar issue detail view to be changed to a modal dialog/popup instead?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
kai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2017

This feature is currently available on boards for Jira Core (Business project types).

The good news is that we are also working on rolling this out to all Software Kanban and Scrum boards over the coming months.

It's unfortunately is not available to everyone yet, but stay tuned — it should be coming to all Software project boards soon.

You can read more about the new design at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html.

Gary Haag June 9, 2021

Returning to say this feature now exists and I am a satisfied end-user again! Thanks Atlassian Team.

1 vote
Sasa Jovanovic November 17, 2017

In old Jira (version 4.x) issue detailed view was in modal dialog if you opened via greenhopper's board.

But in newer Jira this was moved to the sidebar.

It would be useful to set some checkbox in board's settings so every user can decide if wish modal dialog or sidebar. On small screens sidebar is totally unusable.

Sasa Jovanovic November 17, 2017
Ross Peterson December 15, 2017

Useful.

I've had the opposite problem:

Our JIRA software site/projects just got updated to use the modal dialog, but I liked the sidebar.

It's nice to be able to switch it back.

Derek White March 10, 2022

The process has changed - no longer a lab feature. You can revert to sidebar by opening an issue in the modal, clicking the "..." and selecting "Open issues in sidebar". From then on, issues will open in the sidebar.

Like Mark Valenzuela likes this
1 vote
Przemek Nowak October 13, 2017

Yes, it would be useful to make Jira details board view on modal.

0 votes
PaulM August 7, 2023

Is it safe to assume this feature is currently cloud-only?  On Server v8.22 and not seeing this as an option in the ... menu when the Issue Detail side bar is opened.  The sidebar view is utterly awful to use when you want to include freeform text fields due to how narrow they get scrunched down, where a single field can take the entire vertical size of the sidebar.

0 votes
Jeremy Hunter June 18, 2022

Sorry I'm confused about the current status on this. I would prefer the modal dialog but am unable to determine if this is available with the new view. We are on a team managed, cloud project. is the modal dialog the future default of the "new experience" or vice versa? 

0 votes
Modius September 26, 2020

Been 3 years, just installed it, I've seen an install where it is a popup (cloud), any idea if this is coming sometime soon to the non-cloud version?

Any reason it is so dang hidden if it already exists?

Gary Haag May 14, 2021

Bump one year later, I would like this feature also, working in the modal window is inconvenient since I work with one large monitor and multiple windows for all my work. Because of this, I tend to keep the Jira board in 1/4 (corner) or 1/3 (full height to side of other windows) view. Both of those options would be drastically improved with the addition of a modal issue view on the board when using sprint-type boards.

I suppose I prefer the web client since I am a Mac user and the browser version is OS independent.

What say you Atlassian, is any work being done to do this at all? Is it even possible or would it require a full refactor of the web client? Lots of people want this feature and it seems like bad practice for a user-based platform to ignore popular requests for functionality like this for so long, just saying, as a Product Owner this is a fail.

Like Jeevaka Dassanayake likes this

Suggest an answer