Urgent - Google Apps connection: Failed to connect to Google Apps

Nuno Miller December 22, 2014

Hi,

I had JIRA authentication connected to Google Apps Domain, but I received a message asking to disconnect and connect back due to upgrade in the connector.

After doing so, I keep receiving a message error: Failed to connect to Google Apps with details:

"Error getting user list from Google:
{
  "code" : 403,
  "errors" : [ {
    "domain" : "global",
    "message" : "Domain cannot use apis.",
    "reason" : "domainCannotUseApis"
  } ],
  "message" : "Domain cannot use apis."
}"

I tested this in Safari and Chrome, and I am logged on to Google Apps and seeing Admin page.

Users cannot login.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nuno Miller

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
davy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2014

Hi Nuno,

Your Google Apps domain is configured to disallow API access.

Atlassian Cloud needs to access the API's

Enabling the  Google Apps Administrative APIs should solve the problem

To enable API access
https://support.google.com/a/answer/60757?hl=en

Cheers,

2 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2014

Hi Nuno, 

Apparently you are facing this bug: 

Failed to connect to Google Apps with error "Domain cannot use apis"

To fix this you will need to enable the administrative APIs in the Google Apps Control Panel.

Please let us know if we can help you further.

Cheers!

Justin Justin December 24, 2014

I'd argue that this is not a "bug", but it is a problem to resolve by the admin. Good KB.

1 vote
Justin Justin December 24, 2014

As an alternative if you'd like to control plugin updates/impacts more, you can with JIRA server or JIRA server hosted. In this deployment model, this authenticator can be used: Google SSO for JIRA.

In fairness to Atlassian and your challenges above, remote authentication is tricky and once working in your environment, it should not be mucked with (even if inadvertently). Changes in network or Google Apps admin settings unknowingly can affect you, and the real effect (as you experienced) is a panic when your users can't login, understandably.

So I would recommend that whatever SSO solution/strategy you use, that it is well understood among your Atlassian and Google Apps sys admins (which can often be different people in an org in our experience). Governance on the settings or changes should be tightly controlled. 

0 votes
Nuno Miller December 25, 2014

Hi,

I resolved the issue by activating APIs on google administrative. It's strange that it was working before without problem, but after disconnecting from Gogole Apps and reconnecting again the issue appeared.

Thank you for your help.

Suggest an answer