Upper limit for issue key / issue id in JIRA

Ankur Dhawan May 7, 2014

Is there any limit on the number of issues in a project, what is the max number of issue id that jira supports ?

3 answers

2 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

The ID is Long type, the answer would be (2^63)-1 as per javadoc,Long.MAX_VALUE = 9223372036854775807, Long.MIN_VALUE = -9223372036854775808

As Nic says you'll be dust before JIRA gets there (I dont believe there are any coded numeric limits on the ID, the reason being that you'll find scalability issues oh, just a little while before you get there), I can just imagine logging an issue "its the end of the world":

SUPPORT-9223372036854775807

Imagine 1K per issue. Thats still 8388608 TB of comment data :D

1 vote
Ankur Dhawan May 7, 2014

agree there will be performance issues blocking the road before any one gets there, wanted to quick check if there is any other upper cap put by them on number of issues in the syste,.. anyways checked in table jiraissues as well where they store id and pkey.. id has datatype of number(18) which will verryy high from any organization's perspective. Thanks ofr your replies.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014
Technically, it is only limited by the limits place on it by code, so a far higher number than you'll ever reach. In real life, your human usage will limit it well before the code.
Ankur Dhawan May 7, 2014

yes that is what i want to know, what is the limit enforced by the code. You might be right that if limit is very high then it wont reach to that number/limit in our instance. but just want to know what that limit is.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014

I really don't know, but you don't stand a chance of getting anywhere near it. Millions is probably the easy, and very very understated answer. I'd guess at the code limit being whatever the highest number you can put in a java "long" object, but it really is one of those utterly pointless questions - the answer is irrelevant because you'll never get close to it.

Suggest an answer