Upload single attachment to multiple Issues while doing Bulk Operation

Prasad Pendke November 26, 2020

Problem: I am not able to see upload attachment button in comment section while doing bulk operation

Use Case: Suppose one user has been assigned (ex: 10 task) and user wants to provide some justification comments which are in some excel and wants to attach in all issues in one go using  Bulk Operation rather than attaching it in each JIRA.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2020

Nic already wrote many important things above ... whatever the requirement might look like, at least one drawback comes to my mind right now: given the theory it would be possible at all ...

- you attach a picture/document/whatever... with a size of 1MB to 100 issues.
- your disk space will have decreased by the end of the operation by 100MB (1MB*100 issues).

Although disk space is cheaper then some years before it is bad practise.

In case your requirement insists to have that data in really each issue - from my point of view you could put the data to an internal webserver (or even the internet if it is only a broschure or so) and instead to attach it to every issue: just link it (using an URL).
Inserting a bulk comment with the link should be absolutetely not so hard.

In case you would like to describe the use case further I am sure somebody will say something more specific about it.

Prasad Pendke November 30, 2020

Use Case: Suppose one user has been assigned (ex: 10 task) and user wants to provide some justification comments which are in some excel and wants to attach in all issues in one go using  Bulk Operation rather than attaching it in each JIRA.

Can you please provide some view on this requirement?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2020

Basically, from a plain technical view it remains with the previous infos.
From a use case perspective I probably do not understand what the benefit of having the comment in excel is.
I am only familiar with use cases where comments are put into comments field of a Jira issue.

molaoye January 17, 2023

Thank you so much @Daniel Ebers for that input. I needed to attach a pdf files to multiple JIRA tasks. From your input above, I was able to convert the pdf into a link , which I inserted into the comments via bulk change comment (change comments).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2020

I'd question why you think you want to do that - I can't think of a good reason to attach a file to many comments, and I suspect Atlassian think the same, and have hence never made it able to do it  (other than when you're not really using Jira properly)

Prasad Pendke November 30, 2020

Can you please provide some view on this requirement?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2020

Yes, you're gathering information in the wrong way.  The user's comments should be a set of comments on the one issue you should be using to track the work item.  Why have you got 10 tasks for one item?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2020

Oh, and people should never be using excel for comments.  It's a spreadsheet, not a story telling tool.  They should be making comments directly on the issue, or providing simple text to be added to the issue.  Comments should not be done in attachments, ever.

Brendan Sheppard January 26, 2023

Nice thoughts @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- this is good root cause thinking.

I found this topic as I wanted to upload an outlook file to a bunch of issues as proof of approval.  Reading your comments made me re-think my strategy and instead I'm logging the approvals in Confluence with the email file inserted within a table.  Now my JIRAS just refer to the approval and link to the Confluence page which I added in bulk using a Comment.

I work in enterprise and can attest to the fact that comments and colour-coding within spreadsheets is rife and has major downstream consequences.

Suggest an answer