Upload image for new Issue ... how with no direct server access?

Lisa Rahder July 8, 2013

What is the syntax to apply a custom image stored locally to a new Issue type?

JIRA instructions state that standard URL-syntax can be used to address the custom image, i.e., "http://...", and URL syntax does exist to reference local objects from the URL bar (ie, "file:///" and other syntax to "run" locally stored pages for unit testing). But when I use this syntax, JIRA applies the NAME of the file cited to the icon image, not the image itself (!)

So, does anyone know enough about browsers to know how to reference the image so JIRA can pull it up and use it for this new Issue type?

Thanks! :)

1 answer

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2013

hi lisa..

if i understand it right you are trying to upload a new icon for an issue-type to let jira use it without having ssh, scp or ftp access to the server so an upload to the filesystem is impossible?

afaik all the default issuetype images are located in $JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/images/icons/issuetypes/

and you can specify any other path on the filesystem to point to your new image.

this must be set up in jira...issuetypes->edit

(relative to the JIRA web application e.g /images/icons OR starting with http://)

there you can spefify any other image path...also external hosts..so you just upload the new image to a filehosting service instead and add the url to your image there.

Lisa Rahder July 8, 2013

So, sounds like the real question is, does the JIRA new-image option where you input the path upload that image, or is it only the path that is stored into JIRA and the image stays where it is? I had assumed the former, which is why I was asking for the syntax to pull an image up (...I tried file///imagepath, and this did nto work)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2013
The image stays where it's at. You cannot upload it onto your server that way

Suggest an answer