Upgrading to Jira 6.2.3, don't want to get caught by Jira 6.3 release

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2014

I will be upgrading our on-premise Jira to 6.2.3 in two weeks so that we can import some projects from an associate's OnDemand jira.

I don't need to know when Jira 6.3 is going to be released, I just want to be sure that it is NOT released before I get upgraded to 6.2.3. If OnDemand upgraded to 6.3 I'd be hammered :-)

Can I get any assurances here?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

Not really. Atlassian release "when it's ready" and don't publish much of a schedule. Even partners and experts don't get much warning.

Later versions of Jira can import from OnDemand of higher versions though, so you'll be able to take a 6.3 copy and drop it into 6.2

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2014

"Later versions of Jira can import from OnDemand of higher versions though, so you'll be able to take a 6.3 copy and drop it into 6.2" Wow, that's news to me... we tried to import into 6.1.3 from current on demand, and it wouldn't work, and Atlassian support told us that's not supported. So, I am surprised that I would be able to import into 6.2.3 from OnDemand at version 6.3 ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

I have a feeling you can do 6.2 to 6.1, I think that's where I did it.

All you do is fire up a new empty 6.1, and choose the "restore from a backup" option. Point it at the xml from a 6.2 OnDemand, and you'll get a big red warning box, but a system built from your 6.3 data will be created on 6.2. I still don't think it's supported, but it does work.

Suggest an answer