Upgrading to JIRA Software caused database switch to internal HSQL

rsud December 28, 2015

I recently upgraded from JIRA 6.2 to JIRA Software, and a few days after, I noticed that JIRA is using the internal HSQL database.Originally, our database was SQL Server.

Now, per the link, https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/switching-databases-185729500.html#SwitchingDatabases-differenttype, it should be straightforward to reconfigure JIRA to use SQL Server, instead of HSQL. (Scenario 3)

My question is, if I follow the steps to switch the database, upon restoring the backup, will the data from HSQL (over a few days of JIRA Software use), be appended to the original SQL Server database?

2 answers

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2015

The steps described in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/switching-databases-185729500.html#SwitchingDatabases-differenttype are exactly the correct ones to take to move between two different database systems.

You will of course be testing this in a development environment before you do it on your live environment?

1 vote
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2015

Yes Rajat, As long as you have all plugin-data before Upgrading it to JIRA Software like script runner scripts/ custom codes and a valide License for JIRA Software, switching databases should retain all the information

rsud December 28, 2015

Thanks for the response. Just to reiterate, here is the sequence of events followed: 1. JIRA 6 used SQL Server 2. I performed the upgrade to JIRA Software and restored the backup about 10 days ago. 3. After the upgrade, JIRA Software appears to be using HSQL 4. I need to switch back to SQL Server, ensuring that all the data generated over 10 days gets appended to the original SQL Server instance.

Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

Good. Please ensure you try the steps suggested in the above link on Dev environment first, document all the steps you performed and later do it on Production. Data is always *Valuable* Good Luck!

Suggest an answer