Upgrading to JIRA 6.0.7 Whilst Using Java JDK

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

I am currently running JIRA v5.2. I switched Java from JRE to JDK in order to make better use of the JavaMelody plugin.

I see from the "Supported Platforms" pages that JIRA v6.0.x no longer supports Java 1.6 and requires Java 1.7.

I recall from upgrading to JIRA v5.2 that that upgrade automatically upgraded the Java JRE... so I expect the upgrade to JIRA 6.0.x to switch me to Java 1.7.

But will it switch me back from JDK to JRE?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ryan Dunn August 19, 2013
Hi Mark, As long as your JAVA_HOME environment variable persists across upgrades you should be fine. I would test before and after upgrade to make sure this variable didn't get bonked. Don't think it will. Check this out: https://confluence.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#InstallingJava-Linux-basedcomputers Ensure JAVA_HOME points to your JDK after upgrade. The upgrade process should not botch your variables. Cheers, Ryan
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

Thanks for the response. I think I should have phrased my question...

"Does JIRA v6.0.x upgrade perform an upgrade to JDK or only to JRE"? or maybe
"Is it best to upgrade my JDK to 1.7.0_25 before upgrading to JIRA v6.0.x"?

I had read the "Installing Java" documentation. It won't be a problem to check on JAVA_HOME and, frankly, it won't really be a problem to perform a Java upgrade separately from the JIRA upgrade. I just wanted to understand things better so that I can plan better.... I need to schedule someone's time to carry out the actual work. Even if the work is on our Test Server.

So if you are using the tgz archive, it will not touch Java.

If you are upgrading using the bin file, it will replace the JRE (but not touch your JDK).

Ah, in that case it is dependant on how you are upgrading.

If you are using the bin file, it will install the JRE with it.

If you are just unpacking the tgz, and pointing it at the old home directory it will not include the JRE.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013

The upgrade will be carried out via the installer. So, pretty simple then. I'll...

• Upgrade the JDK to 1.7.0_25
  • Upgrade JIRA
  • Check that upgraded JIRA uses the JDK
0 votes

Ah, in that case it is dependant on how you are upgrading.

If you are using the bin file, it will install the JRE with it.

If you are just unpacking the tgz, and pointing it at the old home directory it will not include the JRE.

0 votes

So if you are using the tgz archive, it will not touch Java.

If you are upgrading using the bin file, it will replace the JRE (but not touch your JDK).

Suggest an answer