Upgrading from Jira 6.3 to Jira 7 what is the actual cost?

Jd Williams April 8, 2016

My company is looking at upgrading from JIRA 6.3 to JIRA 7 and we are confused by the cost structure and are hoping to get some calcification.  We currently have a 50 user license which will expire in November. Looking through Migration Hub site I am confused and just hope get clarification to the following questions:

1. Can we upgrade to JIRA 7 (JIRA Software) under our current license and have access to all features?
  2. Do we have to pay a JIRA Software upgrade cost? If so what is that cost as the chart on the migration hub site is confusing I am not sure if we fall into the $2700 or $4900 cost.
  3. Would the new maintenance renewal cost stay due in November or would it change to whatever month we do the upgrade?

I apologize if this is a bit wordy or confusing just trying to get some more information before we decide if we are going upgrade.

Thank You, 

Jd Williams

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2016

It might cost you a bit more, or possibly less, but there's some missing information we need to ask you about.

Are you using the Agile add-on?

The reason I ask that is because it determines what you need from JIRA 7.  I don't actually know much about the pricing or renewals side, but I can explain the principles of the software upgrade and what to look for.

• If you currently have JIRA with NO Agile addon, then you can just get JIRA 7 Core.  Your licence for JIRA 6 is a licence for JIRA 7 Core.
  • If you have JIRA with Agile, then you will want to move to JIRA Software instead.  Your Agile licence covers you for JIRA + JIRA Software here.

So, the answer to the costs depends on what you have now and what you go to.  If you're on JIRA without Agile, and go to Software, then yes, it'll cost more because you don't currently have Agile!

Suggest an answer