Upgrading from Jira 4.1.1 to latest version 5.2.2

Vishal Chugh December 23, 2012

Hi,

I am new to Jira . Our organization has requested us to upgrade current Jira 4.1.1 (standalone ) to latest released version 5.2.2 .

Is it possible to upgrade directly from 4.1.1 to 5.2.2 ? Are there any complicaitons ? Should we be doing incremental upgrades from 4.1.1 till 5.2.2 ?

Can someone please advise?

Thanks,

Vishal Chugh

2 answers

1 vote
vkharisma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2012

Hi Vishal,

Normally people use the incremental updates to reduce the down time during production instance upgrade. Sometime, a direct update with a big version gap can takes hours to finish. So yeap, using incremental upgrade is a good idea, you can try 4.1.1 - 4.3.4 - 5.2.2 and observe if the upgrade is running smoothly on a staging instance before upgrading your production instance.

Vishal Chugh December 25, 2012

Hi Vicky ,

Thank you so much for guidance.

I saw later that latest available Jira version is 5.2.3 .

I am sorry , i tried directly upgrade from 4.1.1 to 5.2.3 .

I tried below :

1) I copied over our Jira 4.4.1 installation directory to new test machine .

2) Took export of DB from old machine and imported to new machine's mySQL DB .

3) On test machine , restarted the Jira instance , Jira URL came up and was able to login with same credentials as with Jira on old machine and was able to see everything . So far so good.

Quesion : Is it right to do (what i did in steps 1 , 2 , 3 above) ?

4) Installed Jira 5.2.3 on this test machine , pointed Jira to this new Jira , ran config.sh , configured DB (as mentioned in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+MySQL#ConnectingJIRAtoMySQL-configurejirawithdatabase ) to point to existing imported DB on this new machine (which i imported in step 2 above )and restarted this new Jira instance .

5) Now when i opened the new Jira URL first time , it opened setup wizard and i was asked for DB details again , i provided same exisitng DB details (as was in step 4 ) but it says "that it needs an empty DB" to continue with ? Then i created another empty DB in MySQL and provided those details in setup wizard and the i was able to proceed further .

Question :

a) Is this normal ? Is it like , to place upgraded DB data , we need empty DB while upgrade ?

b) Has it taken care to understand my existing DB (which i provided in step 4 ) and upgrade it and place the upgraded tables in new DB which i created through setup wizard ( i doubt this ) .

6) And then it shows message "Already exisiting Jira" , specify backed up data file location .

Question : Which data file it is expecting ? I already have my data in exisitng DB .What is required from here ?

Vishal Chugh December 25, 2012

Continuation :

Still , to continue with (assuming it is not able to pick data from existing DB and expecting backup from some other file ) , I provided , 2012-Dec-25--0849.zip location to it and continued.

7) I was able to open new Jira URL and could see new features and GUI .

8) We used to have GreenHopper plugin , but now i dont see it . Does plugin require special treatment ? Wont the plugins be part of upgrade process ?

9) I downloaded and installed "Trial version " of GreenHopper plugin .

After this test upgrade looks fine , we will do same for final upgrade .

Am i following the right approach ?

Can you pls advise.

Thanks in advance ,

Vishal Chugh

Vishal Chugh April 7, 2013

Sorry forgot to update , our upgarde went successful in Feb-13 and all are happy with that . Thank you so much again..

0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2012

Hi Vishal,

Quesion : Is it right to do (what i did in steps 1 , 2 , 3 above) ?

Though you imported the DB export to a new machine and configured the JIRA with the new DB, did you took a backup of JIRA_HOME directory and pointed it to the new upgraded JIRA 5.2.3 as <NEW_JIRA_HOME>during this process. If not, though you'll be able to see the issues, etc but stilll you'll miss out on attachments, etc of older JIRA 4.4.1.

Can you let us know did you replaced the JIRA 5.2.3 <INSTALL_DIR> with the older JIRA 4.4.1 <INSTALL_DIR>, as you don't need to overwrite the complete installation diorectory and just change necessary files in JIRA 5.2.3 w.r.t JIRA 4.4.1 installation files.

8) We used to have GreenHopper plugin , but now i dont see it . Does plugin require special treatment ? Wont the plugins be part of upgrade process

The Greenhopper plugin isn't the part of the upgrade process, you may find the documentation for Greenhopper upgrade here, also you can check the upgrade notes too. You can apply the license key for the Greenhopper plugin and after configuring the Greenhopper pluginyou should perform JIRA re-index as Re-indexing is must.

Please make the follow the pointerswhile upgrading the JIRA to latest -

• Go thoroughly through the release notes and upgrade guide
  • Back up your database
  • Back up your JIRA Home directory, Attachment directory and Installation directory
  • Check all the additional user-installed plugins in older JIRA and check its compatibility w.r.t to latest JIRA.
  • Track the changes made to JIRA configuration files, such as - jira-application.properties, osuser.xml, seraph-config.xml, setenv.sh or setenv.bat, etc. and backup those files
  • Install the new version of JIRA
  • Migrate your existing JIRA configurations over to your new JIRA installation
  • Point your new JIRA to your existing JIRA Home directory
  • Make the necessary changes in the configuration files, such as - jira-application.properties, osuser.xml, seraph-config.xml, setenv.sh or setenv.bat, etc of newer JIRA w.r.t the configuration files of older JIRA
  • [Optional] Delete the .bundled-plugins and .osgi-plugins directory before restarting the newer JIRA
  • Install the addiotnal plugins which are comaptible w.r.t the newer version of JIRA
  • Connect your new JIRA to your existing database
  • Start your new version of JIRA. [Always keep an eye at the logs for the errors (if any) generated during JIRA startup]
  • * Reindex the JIRA after restarting it.

Hope you find it useful!

Vishal Chugh December 26, 2012

Hi Naren,

Now i understand the whole mess is might be , because , in our 4.1.1 installation , we were using the jira.home same as the jira installation directory ( and i dont see anywhere JIRA_HOME env variabale defined anywhere :-( ) . We cant define jira.home same as jira installation directory which i realized when i got error smth like : https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=302810385 .

After i copied Jira 4.1.1 installation directory and backup .zip files from old server to new test server and imported the DB dump , Jira 4.1.1 URL came up fine.

Then i installed 5.2.3 in seperate location on same new test machine and modified the jira.home ( to refer to locaiton of 5.2.3 now ) in jira-application.properties file in 5.2.3 installation files and then ran config.sh to setup DB details ( to make it refer to same exisiting 4.1.1 imported DB ) and then started the JIRA .

First problem , was i got "setup wizard" , it asked me for specifying an empty DB ( then i had to create an empty DB jiradb523 for it ) and then i was able to press next , then it asked for "data file location" , then i specified , copied one 4.1.1 back-up .zip file to proceed ahead and then i ran into error https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=302810385 and then i had to modify jira.home to refer to some other location .

Sorry , this is so much confusing .

Can you please explain :

While doing upgrade , if JIRA_HOME refer to some other location than INSTALLATION_DIR of 5.2.3 then how come it will know that it is suppoed to pick up new files of 5.2.3 ? I mean do , we have some varibale like JIRA_INSTALL_DIR to point it to new Jira 5.2.3 ?

Thanks,

Vishal Chugh

Hi Naren,

We dint want to do upgrade directly on production instanace of jira 4.1.1 . So idea was to repllicate the whole exisiting jira 4.1.1 setup to test machine and make sure everything is fine and the proceed for the upgrade procedure to latest jira 5.2.3 .

So we can say , we were kind of migrating ( 4.1.1 to new server ) + upgrading ( to 5.2.3 on this new server ) .

P.S : In our jira 4.1.1 , we are having jira.home refering to Jira installation directory .

When you say "Point your new JIRA to your existing JIRA Home directory " , what do you mean by this ? Do you mean to modify jira.home (in jira-application.properties file of 5.2.3 installation ) to make it refer to same location as of jira.home (in jira-application.properties file of 4.1.1 installation )

Thanks,

Vishal Chugh

I have came across https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/upgrade_Point+JIRA+to+JIRA+Home :

If your new JIRA Latest installation is on a new server, copy the backup of your existing JIRA Home Directory from the old server to the new server before proceeding.

To set up a "recommended" (not WAR) distribution:

1. Open the JIRA Configuration Tool.
  2. Click the JIRA Home tab.
  3. Update the JIRA Home Directory field:
    • If your JIRA Latest installation is on a new server, update the JIRA Home Directory field to the path of your copied JIRA Home directory.
    • If your JIRA Latest installation is on the same server, update the JIRA Home Directory field to the path of your existing JIRA Home directory.
      (info) For more information about this directory, see JIRA Home Directory.

For my jira 4.1.1 , my installation dir and jira.home refers to same location . This means after i copy over my 4.1.1 installation directory to new server . Then i need to follow above 1st , 2nd and 3a steps.... Hope I am on right track now :-( ..

Hi Naren,

Latest update:

Suppose my Jira installation directory is : /opt/jira/jira4.1.1

1) I copied over my Jira 4.4.1 installation directory (and it also has role of jira.home=/opt/jira/jira4.1.1, as i mentioned above ) , imported DB dump to test server and started the Jira instance , it came up fine .

2) Stopped this jira instance

3) Next , installed Jira 5.2.3 in different location on new server .

4) This time I took care : I ran config.sh ( under Jira 5.2.3) this time and provided jira.home location correctly , to refer to jira.home=/opt/jira/jira4.1.1 and connected it to same existing DB and started Jira .

5) This time , i got message : Upgrade finished successfuly .

6) Yes, GreenHopper dint get intsalled . I downloaded and installed latest one .

Hope this time test upgrade has gone smoothly , still i will continue to investigate logs and other stuff to be sure about successful upgrade .

Thank you so much!!!

Vishal Chugh

Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

Hi Vishal,

Glad to know that the process went smoothly this time :)

However, referring to your previous comments, below is some info you may find it useful!

We were using the jira.home same as the jira installation directory (and i dont see anywhere JIRA_HOME env variabale defined anywhere)

I m sorry, but I didn't got your point here. I think this link should help you in understanding how to set the Jira Home Directory

Then i installed 5.2.3 in seperate location on same new test machine and modified the jira.home ( to refer to locaiton of 5.2.3 now ) in jira-application.properties file in 5.2.3 installation files and then ran config.sh to setup DB details ( to make it refer to same exisiting 4.1.1 imported DB ) and then started the JIRA .

This link may help you know, how to point to the JIRA Home Directory after upgrading JIRA.

First problem , was i got "setup wizard" , it asked me for specifying an empty DB

IMO, you should have tried updating the DB details using dbconfig.xml file or Jira Configuration Tool, before starting your JIRA instance or simply start the fresh blank JIRA instance, and restore the XML backup of the older JIRA 4.1.1 instance, and repeat the same procedure for JIRA 5.2.3.

Your jira.home inside the jira-application.properties file should be having values something like this -

jira.home=/var/atlassian/application-data/jira

JIRA Home Directory and JIRA Installation Directory are two different directory structures, and your jira.home should always have the value of JIRA Home Directory.

Please go through the documentation thoroughly and note down the important pointers, it will definitely help you during the upgrade process!

Vishal Chugh December 27, 2012

Hi Naren,

Thank you so much for all guidance.

I meant :

Our production instance of Jira is 4.1.1 . We have all installation files under /opt/jira/jira4.1.1/ and in /opt/jira/jira4.1.1/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties , we have jira.home defined as /opt/jira/jira4.1.1/ (which is same as installation directory location ) . And it works fine for us. Seems older versions of Jira might used to allow Jira.home and Jira installation directory to be same .

But, if for Jira 5.2.2 , i keep Jira.home and Jira installation directory , same , i get error as : https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=302810385 ..

Then i learnt (as Jira documentation also says so ) to not to have jira.home under anywhere Jira installation directory .

I my previous trials i messed up with jira.home settings and ran into very confusing troubles :-( .

Yes , after copying my production Jira 4.1.1 instance to staging server (and pointing it to imported DB ) , it came up fine. Then after shutting it down , i proceeded for Jira 5.2.3 upgrade , as below:

Before starting Jira 5.2.3 instance , i ran config.sh under Jira 5.2.3 and defined jira.home=/opt/jira/jira4.1.1/ ( to refer to exisitng jira.home for updrade) and pointed it to same exiting imported DB and then started Jira 5.2.3 instance and it came up fine .

Hope , I am on right track :-) .

Still i need to dive more into logs and welcome few more issues :P ..

Thank you so much again!!

Vishal Chugh

Suggest an answer