Upgrading from JIRA 6.0.3 to 6.3- why does restoring my 6.0.3 database mess up the upgrade?

Alex Moquia September 29, 2014

I am upgrading from JIRA 6.0.7 to 6.3 (latest). We are following the procedures in the Upgrading with a Fallback Method instructions (new JIRA server which we will cut over to). The new version of JIRA installs fine with the default test database. However after backing up and restoring our 6.0.7 production database, the JIRA site is brought back to the Welcome Setup interface (which we previously had already gone through). When getting to the point of recreating the default Administrator account, we come upon the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException: No Crowd Application available.

Our databases are MS SQL Server 2008 r2. I used the native backup and restore features in SQLServer.

Anybody come up against this when skipping versions in upgrading JIRA? Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

do you use crowd for managing users?

Alex Moquia September 29, 2014

No we do not... are there major differences in the schema between 6.0-6.3? It seems to me that I should not even be brought back to the welcome screen. The Upgrade instructions says when i restore the database, it should merely recreate the index: "Start the new version of JIRA in your new production environment. When you start this version, JIRA will upgrade your data and may perform a re-index. When the re-indexing is complete, verify that your data is present and that there are no issues with the system."

Suggest an answer