Upgrading from 4.4.5 to 5.1, ViewCustomFields page takes 7 minutes to load

We are in the process of upgrading from 4.4.5 to 5.1 of Jira.

We have cut a copy of the production VM to perform a test upgrade. The upgrade went well, but the ViewCustomFields page takes about 7 minutes to display. In the 4.4.5 instance, it takes a couple of seconds.

We have 82 projects, 170 workflows, 750 custom fields, and 200k issues. We are running four cores and 9GB on the VM, with Jira allocated 5.5GB, using an external database.

The page eventually loads without any errors in the logs or on the page itself. Further actions on custom fields are quick, except where the result is a refresh of the list page.

Performance of the rest of the application is good - just the page related to showing the list of custom fields is very slow.

We use a number of 3rd party and self developed plugins. The slow load behaviour persists if we uninstall or disable all plugins.

We have tried deleting a few custom fields that use custom field types from the Behaviours plugin since this plugin breaks indexing if present, but this has not affected the slow load time.

The load on the VM and on the database is very low while the page loads, so it looks like some code is timing out... I don't know how to go about diagnosing the problem.

1 answer

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2012

Hi Adman,

It sounds like you will need to take some thread dumps whilst trying to access the page to tell what is causing the load times to hang for so long. You can see how to generate thread dumps from our documentation on the subject: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/Generating+a+Thread+Dump

However, as you say that you're not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem, I suspect that you won't be able to analyse the thread dumps that you take so I would suggest that you generate the thread dumps and then open a ticket with Support so we can analyse them for you.

JIRA v5.1 should be giving you the fastest response times yet, but 750 custom fields is quite a lot so I think we should investigate this to ensure you aren't encountering a bug that only becomes visible after a certain amount of fields have been added or similar.

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer